- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Soup Recipes
German: Hearty Bean Soup
My uncle was married to a wonderful German woman who really knew
her way around the kitchen.
When we went over to visit, it was always a big surprise as to what was being prepared for lunch or dinner.
Either one or the other, it didn't really matter because she was such a great cook.
This German hearty bean soup will have your guests craving for another bowl.
- 25 ml. (2 tablespoons) butter
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 potato, coarsely grated
- 15 mL (1 tablespoon) chopped onion
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cups) water
- 398 mL (14 ounce) can pork and beans
- 385 mL can evaporated milk
- 250 mL (1 cup) chopped, cooked ham
- 5 mL (1 teaspoon) salt
- 1 mL (1/8 teaspoon) pepper
- 1mL (1/8 teaspoon) marjoram
- 1mL (1/8 teaspoon) savory
- parsley to garnish
Bring a large saucepan over to the stove and in it, melt 2
tablespoons of butter over medium heat.
Add your carrot, onion and one and a half cups of water. Cover the saucepan and turn the heat to simmer for 10 minutes.
Next, stir in the remaining ingredients, all except the parsley.
Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the mixture just comes to a boil.
Garnish with parsley and get ready to enjoy a wonderful soup, one of the best to ever come in contact with your taste palette.
I have many other recipes that I'll be sharing with you but this
one in particular is such a great plate to put in front of any of
your friends or guests, especially on a cold winters day.
I hope you'll try it out and don't be afraid to add a little extra pinch of spice, if you like your meals hot.