- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Homemade Gluten-Free Granola Recipe With Oats: Dairy-Free, Too
Sweet and crunchy oat-based granola is a breakfast cereal many people who must keep to a gluten-free diet loathe giving up. Not just the wheat germ, but the oats are the gluten-containing culprit. Oats don't contain gluten per se, but they are frequently grown on land shared with wheat crops. Due to the chance of cross-contamination, people suffering from gluten intolerance or celiac disease are advised to avoid oat products such as commercially produced granola. This homemade gluten-free granola recipe is also dairy-free and doesn't use refined sugar. Gluten-free granola can be used as a snack or breakfast cereal, as a crumb topping or in other recipes.
Gluten-Free Rolled Oats
- large mixing bowl
- large cookie sheet with rim
- 1 cup 100% pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup dried unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tsp cinnamon (gluten-free)
- 1/4 tsp ginger root powder, gluten-free (optional)
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried dates, cranberries or raisins
Gluten-Free Granola Recipe Instructions
- Obtain a supply of certified gluten-free oats. The author of this article has used and enjoyed Bob's Red Mill gluten-free oats. Use only gluten-free spices.
- Preheat the oven to 325 (Fahrenheit). Oil the cookie sheet. You can also use a 9 1/2" X 13" baking dish in lieu of the cookie sheet (or in addition to it).
- Mix together the maple syrup and the olive oil.
- Toss the dry ingredients, minus the dates/raisins/cranberries, together in a mixing bowl.
- Toss the maple syrup mixture with the oats mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until it the raw granola is uniformly sticky.
- Spread the oats mixture loosely on the cookie sheet in as thin a layer as possible.
- Bake in the preheated 325 degree oven for 45-60 minutes. Check the oats after 45 minutes to see if they are done--a golden brown and strong aroma indicates done.
- If you are using the deeper baking dish, toss the mixture every 20 minutes and bake for an extra 10-15 minutes.
- Add the dried raisins or other fruit. Cool the granola before serving.
- If the granola is too chewy, next time add 1/4 cup more honey to the recipe.
Pure Maple Syrup
© 2009 Chris Telden