Gluten Free Red Velvet Cake
Gluten Free Red Velvet Cake with Vanilla Frosting topped with Crushed Candy Cane
Gluten Free Red Velvet Cake
There is no cake that is smoother in texture than the red velvet cake. Moist, light and extremely flavorful, it is one of my favorites. For this recipe, I do not add red tincture but if you would like it to resemble the common red velvet cake, then add a couple of drops to the batter.
As it is the holiday season as I am writing this recipe, I chose to tint the cake red so that it was festive. In addition to this, I hand crushed candy canes and sprinkled them on the top of the frosting as added decorations. For these cupcakes, I topped half of the cupcakes with vanilla frosting and the other half with cream cheese frosting. Both types received peppermint candy cane decorations.
Should you have extra portions left, simply wrap tightly with cling wrap or use zipper bags. Freeze the extra portions to retain the flavor and the texture of the cake. Thaw before serving.
Ingredients for Gluten Free Red Velvet Cake
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp. cocoa
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cup potato starch
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tsp. guar gum
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tbsp. white vinegar
How to mix the ingredients for the Gluten Free Red Velvet Cake
- Begin by preheating the oven to 350°F.
- While the oven is warming, combine the oil, shortening and sugar in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Next, add cocoa, pure vanilla extract and eggs. Again, mix well.
- Slowly add buttermilk to this mixture while continually mixing. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together potato starch, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and guar gum. Slowly add this mixture into the buttermilk mixture. The batter will become quite thick but make sure that you mix it well.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and baking soda. Immediately fold into batter, incorporating it thoroughly.
- Pour batter into either: 2 - 8" round cake pans; or 1 - 9" x 13" rectangular cake pan; or 12 - 16 lined cupcake tins (this will depend on the size of the cup for the cupcake).
- Place in oven on middle rack and bake between 25 - 30 minutes. Remember that oven temperatures vary and the type and size of pan you use will affect the baking time. Best is to watch and test with a toothpick for doneness. If the inserted toothpick comes out clean, then the cake is done.
- Set cake on cooling rack and allow to cool thoroughly before icing and decorating. If you made cupcakes, remove the cupcakes from the tin and place on cooling racks. Allow to cool thoroughly before icing.
- Bon apetite! © 2012 Beth100 © 2012 A. Haworth
Nutritional Analysis of Gluten Free Red Velvet Cake
|Serving size: One slice out of 15 for large cake|
|Calories from Fat||99|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 11 g||17%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 29 mg||10%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|