Grilled Pizza Pockets
My kids love pizza. But heating the oven during the hot summer months in the "Valley of the Sun" isn't always an option. So, I've made it my mission to find fun and simple ways to make my kid's favorite meals on the grill.
Since my young daughter is always by my side, ready to help in the kitchen, I always make sure the prep time is short, and that the cooking is fun!
My grill is smaller, so I can only fit a 9" x 13" cookie sheet on the top rack, therefore, I'm only able to comfortably cook 6 biscuits at a time. If yours will accommodate a larger sheet, by all means, use it and cut out the second round of cooking. Enjoy!
- 1 Package Pillsburry Grands Biscuits, or your favorite brand of large biscuits
- 1 Jar Pizza sauce
- Shredded Mozerella cheese
- Pizza toppings of your choice
- 9" x 13" Cookie sheet, light colored works best
- Light your grill and set to the lowest heat setting. Close the lid and let it heat up while you prep the food.
- Spray your cookie sheet with cooking spray of your choice.
- Using your fingers or a rolling pin, flatten the biscuits until they are more than double the size. Don't go too thin, this will cause the dough to rip during the folding process.
- Add about a teaspoon of pizza sauce to each biscuit, spread with the back of the spoon, avoiding the edges so it doesn't interfere with the sealing process.
- Add a thin layer of cheese to each biscuit and top with other toppings of your choice. Remember that these will be folded in half, so don't add too much.
- Fold each biscuit in half, so it looks like a half moon. Then pinch the edges together (or use a fork more a more decorative look) all the way around, to seal.
- Arrange biscuits on your cookie sheet so the edges don't touch. Place the cookie sheet on the top rack of your grill, this reduces the risk of burning the bottom of the biscuits, close the lid and let cook. Check around the 10 minute mark, your pizza pockets will be done when the biscuits are golden brown.
- Carefully remove the cookie sheet from the grill and let cool.