Quick and Easy Pizza on the Grill
Summer just isn't the same without a cookout on the grill. But if you're like me, you need a change from the traditional hamburgers and hot dogs from time to time. Well, here's a quick and easy pizza that you can make on the grill. The best part... everyone can customize their pizza to suit their own taste!
Here's a list of supplies you will need:
- Grill (I use a propane grill, but a charcoal grill will work just as well)
- Aluminum foil
- 8" flour tortilla shells
- Pizza sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Toppings of your choice; pepperoni, sausage, olives, mushrooms, pineapple, etc.
First, be sure to line the lower rack of your grill with a layer of aluminum foil. Spray with cooking spray, if you want, but do this before lighting the grill. Light the grill and cover, put the heat on medium so the grill is brought up to a good temperature.
While the grill is pre-heating, place a tortilla shell on a plate or tray that will be used to transport your freshly topped pizza to the grill (don't use foam or paper plates, the heat from the grill may melt or burn them).
- Add a small amount of pizza sauce, about 1 tablespoons (those are the bigger spoons) of sauce, and spread around the tortilla shell with the back of the spoon. Make sure you don't use too much sauce, you're cheese may slide right off the tortilla shell and onto the ground if you do... a lesson I learned the hard way.
Spreading The Sauce...
- Top your sauce with about 1/3 cup of cheese
Top With Cheese
- Add your favorite toppings, add a little more cheese, if you'd like
- Now, you're ready to grill!
Add Your Favorite Toppings
- Gently slide your newly topped pizza onto the foil you lined the grill rack with.
- You can either close the lid, or leave it open and watch your pizza cook, just keep in mind, that with the lid closed, your grilling time will be shorter.
- With the lid closed, cook time is only about 2-3 minutes, depending on the heat of your grill. 3-4 minutes with the lid open. Watch for melting cheese, this is your first indicator that the pizza is done cooking. Be sure not to cook too long, the bottom of your crust may get blackened... unless that's your preference.
- Carefully use your tongs to grab the edge of your pizza, slide it directly onto a heat-safe plate and you're ready to eat!
These little pizza's are great when you need a change, and my kids love them!