- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Grilled Potatoes with Onions & Bacon
Vote for this recipe
A true crowd pleaser.
This potato recipe is a staple in our home during the summer especially at family gatherings. It's simple to make and can be grilled in an aluminum foil "pocket" for a small group or baked in the oven, for a large group, in a roasting pan covered with aluminum foil keeping the grill open for other items.
Peeling the potatoes is optional. I never do. Wash and dry enough potatoes for the number of people you are expecting. A good rule of thumb is one medium to large potato per person. In my case, we have a large family so I peel the whole bag and use the oven method.
- 5 lb. bag Red Potatoes, (use 1/2)
- Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Garlic POWDER
- Onion POWDER
- 1 lg. White Onion*, Sliced in rings
- 1 bag Hormel Real Bacon Bits*
- 16 oz. container Sour Cream
* If making the whole 5 lb. bag for a large gathering use 2 lg. White Onions and 2 bags of Hormel Real Bacon Bits.
Grilled in Foil or Baked in the Oven
- GRILLED IN FOIL. Cut two pieces of heavy duty aluminum foil about 18-24 inches long. Place one piece on large cutting board or cookie sheet drizzle olive oil on aluminum foil to prevent sticking, leaving a 2 inch area on the edge with no olive oil. Cut the potatoes in slices about a 1/8 inch thick and spread on aluminum foil, over lapping each slice, see picture. Once all the potatoes have been laid out as shown drizzle potatoes with olive oil. Sprinkle with onion & garlic powder, then sprinkle with bacon bits. Slice onions in the shape of rings and put on top of the potatoes. Put second piece of aluminum foil on top and crimp the edges to form a pocket. Remove from cookie sheet and cook on grill on low to medium heat for about 40 minutes or until tender.
- BAKED IN OVEN. This is the best method for making all 5 lbs. of potatoes for large gathering. Making multiple layers of potatoes, spices, bacon and onions will allow us to make a large batch capable of feeding an army. Drizzle olive oil on bottom of roasting pan and smear with a pastry brush or paper towel to cover the bottom and prevent sticking. Cut the potatoes in slices about a 1/8 inch thick and spread on bottom of roasting pan, over lapping each slice, see picture. Once bottom of pan has been covered drizzle the top of the potatoes with olive oil. Sprinkle with onion & garlic powder, then sprinkle with bacon bits. Slice onions in the shape of rings and put on top of the potatoes. Continue slicing the potatoes making additional layers exactly like the first layer. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes or until tender.
- Serve with sour cream.
Party Planning Advice
- 5 Tips for a Stress Free Celebration!
Are you planning a party or family gathering? Here are 5 tips to help you plan a stress free party so you can enjoy it too!