How to Cook Kwek Kwek
What is Kwek Kwek?
Kwek-kwek is one of the popular streetfood in the Philippines. It is instantly recognizable due to its color which is orange. It is made out of hard-boiled quail eggs,coated with flour and is cooked by deep-frying. Another similar street food that you can compare with kwek kwek is called tukneneng. The only difference is the type of egg used which is chicken eggs.
Ingredients: (good for 2-3 person)
- 24 pcs quail eggs
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 spoon of baking powder
- pinch of salt
- dash of pepper
- food coloring (red and yellow)
- cooking oil
Procedure: (preparing quail eggs)
1. On a pot, put in all the 24 pcs of quail eggs in it without removing the shell.
2. Place water, approximately half of the pot. Boil.
3. Once water is alreading boiling, make sure to remove the water, and pour some running water in it to cool it down.
4. Remove shells of the quail egg, place them on a clear plate or container.
Procedure: (making the coating/orange batter)
1. On a clean container, pour in 1/2 cup of all purpose flour.
2. Pour a dash of pepper (1/8 of a teaspoon)
3. Pour a pinch of salt. Mix everything together.
4. Pour 1/4 cup of water, mix it again until the texture looks creamy.
5. Wait for 5 mins, then pour 1 spoon of baking powder. Mix again.
6. Pour a drop of yellow and red food coloring. Estimate the amount of food coloring to make an orange color.
1. Place the quail eggs on the orange batter. Make sure that the quail eggs are covered well with the orange batter.
2. On a frying pan, pour in cooking oil. Measurement of oil depends on you as long as you can properly deep fry the quail eggs.
3. Place the quail eggs (now coated with orange batter) into the frying pan, rotate the eggs until the color is a bit dark orange or until the coating is crisp.
4. (optional) You can pour some batter on top of the egg if you want to porperly coat the quail eggs.
Eat these together with your preferred sauce: ketchup, vinegar, it's up to you!
The approximate cooking and preparation tofor this is 15-30 minutes.