- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Healthy Chocolate Biscotti to Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth
Biscotti are all-time favorites and whether you're into chocolate or nuts, this recipe will give everyone something to talk about. This recipe is not only delicious but also healthy, because the whole wheat flour, flax seeds, and almonds are actually good for you.
- 2 Cups Whole wheat flour
- 2 Tablespoons Flax seeds
- 0.5 Teaspoon Baking soda
- Pinch Salt
- 1/3 Cup White sugar
- 1/3 Cup Dark brown sugar
- 3 Large eggs
- 1.5 Teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 2/3 Cup Dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 Cup Unsalted almonds
- Dried Cherries, Optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Mix together the flour, salt, soda, and flax seeds by stirring it with a whisk. Beat the white sugar and brown sugar together with the whites from two of the eggs for approximately two minutes. Add the vanilla to this mixture and then stir it well.
- Stir together the flour and egg mixtures until it's completely combined, and fold in the chocolate chips and almonds.
- Divide the dough into three evenly-sized sections, and roll each section into a roll that is six inches long. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the rolls on it. Make sure that there's at least three inches between each of the rolls. Pat the rolls down with your fingers until they are one inch thick. Bake the rolls for approximately 28 minutes, or until they seem firm.
- Remove the rolls from the oven and take them off the baking sheet, before allowing them to cool. Cut the rolls into half-an-inch thick slices, try to cut diagonally. Place these sections on a baking tray with the cut sides down and bake for 7 minutes at 325F.
- Take the cookies out of the oven and turn them over before baking the other side for 7 minutes at 325F. Once that's done, take them off the baking sheet and allow the biscotti to cool.
Tips and Tricks
1. You could add almond liqueur or almond extract for added flavor.
2. Chopped dried cherries can be added to the dough when you mix in the almonds and chocolate chips. This will give added flavor and also add visual interest because of the bright red color.
3. For an even healthier version, replace the sugar with agave nectar.
4. If you're looking for interesting flavor variations, try using walnuts and cranberries instead of almonds.
|Serving size: one biscotti|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|