Honey baked Ham Recipe
If you have ever ordered from Honey Baked ham- you would know how absolutely delicious their hams are. They are also very expensive. Save some money and make your own honey baked ham. Enjoy the Recipe below, it was given to me from a friend, and yes it is the original honey baked ham recipe. Its pretty easy to make, and once you make it you will realize just how easy it is.
Honey baked ham stores receives the hams smoked but without the glaze. The ham then gets spiral sliced and then gets glazed with this brown sugar glaze. It then gets caramelized until bubbly and a beautiful Carmel color. Look for a ham that is pre-sliced, and yes you must use a blow torch to caramelize the sugar- which makes it absolutely delicious and identical to the Honey baked ham store. Using a blow torch is easy- don't be afraid. I have detailed directions below.
Blow torch- home delivery
1 Fully cooked shank half ham, spiral sliced preferred.
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 dashes ground ginger
2 Dash of ground allspice
1 cup of brown sugar
1 cup sugar.
1 Blow torch
Fill able butane
Create your own Honey Baked Ham at home.
1) You will want to bake your ham if it is not baked through. The glaze on the ham goes on last when the ham is fully cooked. You want to also try to buy a spiral sliced ham- so that once you put the glaze on- the ham is already sliced.
2) Roll out a long sheet of aluminum foil.
3) In a medium bowl- mix together the sugars, cinnamon,cloves,nutmeg,paprika,ginger,allspice.
4) Place the ham onto the aluminum foil onto its flat end, and start rubbing the ham with the brown sugar mixture. Do not coat the flat end of the ham.
5) Make sure your blow torch has some butane. Turn the blowtorch on and on medium flame start to lightly torch the brown sugar glaze on the ham. The sugar will start to bubble. Continue this torch process all over the ham.
6) Repeat the process by coating the ham again with the sugar glaze and torch again.
The ham will have a nice glaze look to it. Serve immediately.
Using a blow torch is quite easy. Don't be scared to use one. You can buy one at bead bath and beyond- or any store that sells culinary items. Enjoy your honey baked ham. It is absolutely delicious.