- Food and Cooking
How to Cook Pumpkin Seeds
Don't throw away those seeds!
Pumpkin seeds taste great, plus they are really good for you. You can add these yummy seeds to salads, or keep them handy for a healthy snack.
These are two great methods for cooking pumpkin seeds. These methods are both easy and quick. Enjoy!
Did you know that pumpkin seeds are high in fiber?
The first thing you want to do is wash the seeds well. Put them in a strainer, then rinse under running water. Make sure you remove all of the pumpkin strings. Once the seeds are clean, blot them dry.
After drying the seeds, you will want to season them. Sprinkle them with the herbs of your choice, salt, and/or pepper. You can experiment with the flavors you like.
- Ever tried them with cinnamon?
- Or an Italian Herb mixture?
- Or, maybe, a bit of cayenne powder?
- Or pumpkin pie spice?
Method #2: Stovetop
Heat 2 tbs. butter in a skillet. Add 2 cups of seeds, tossing to coat them in the butter.
Add the seasonings. Cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring, until the seeds are crips. Cool on paper towels before eating.
Method #1: Oven
Preheat oven to 250º.
Toss seeds with a bit of oil, enough to coat them. Sprinkle on seasonings, toss everything together.
Spread seeds on a baking sheet until crispy, about 40-60 minutes.
Baked Pumpkin Seeds: Photos Step by StepClick thumbnail to view full-size
How to Cook Pumpkin Seeds, Step by Step
- Cut the pumpkin in half.
- Scoop out the seeds. Using a spoon will help cut the strands away, but don't be afraid to get your fingers dirty.
- Try to pull out the larger pieces of pulp from your collection of seeds.
- Place the seeds in a colander.
- Rinse well, then blot dry.
- Mix with oil and desired spices.
- Spread out on a baking sheet.
- Enjoy the yummy, healthy seeds.
Pumpkins on Amazon
Whether you are looking for a pumpkin recipe, pumpkin seeds, pumpkin storybooks, or a pumpkin costume, check out what Amazon has to offer.
The Pumpkin Seed Poll
How do you like to get your pumpkin seeds?
You Might Like These Pumpkin Hubs
- How to Cook Fresh Pumpkin
A lot of recipes call for canned pumpkin, but you will find recipes that call for fresh pumpkin. You can also replace canned pumpkin for fresh even if a recipe calls for canned. Pumpkins are easy to...
- Pumpkin Recipes: Easy & Yummy
Tasty recipes for Perfect Pumpkin Pancakes, Profound Pumpkin Pudding, Cheesy Pumpkin Soup, and Snackable Pumpkin Bread.
- More Simple Pumpkin Recipes
More tasty pumpkin recipes for you to enjoy: Pumpkin Pie Muffins, Pumpkin Pudding Pies, and Pumpkin Mashed "Mock" Potatoes.
- Pumpkin Dessert Recipes: Low Point & Low Calorie
The holiday season is abundant with tasty temptations, but these recipes will help you keep your waistband from growing: Pumpkin Cheesecake Pudding (2 points), Pumpkin Muffins (3 points), Pumpkin Fluff (2 points).
- Healthy Halloween Recipes for Kids
Indulge your kids this Halloween by keeping them healthy and happy. Trick or Treat: Hot Apple Cider, Pumpkin Seed Brittle, Baked Cinnamon Apples, and Creamy Pumpkin Squares.