How to Make Dirty Dog Chow, A Sweet Nutella Chocolate Treat
A favorite holiday treat
When you add your favorites, this turns into a great snack mix base.
- Candy Cane chunks
- Cinnamon chips
- White Chocolate Chips
- Mint Chips
- Mini Marshmellows
- Red Hots
- 4 Cups Cereal, Corn/Rice Chex
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 Cup Nutella
- 4 tsp Butter
Details, Details, Details
- Prep your ingredients. Spray a microwave safe bowl with non stick spray. This will help with clean up! Set the butter, chocolate chips and Nutella in the bowl.
- Put the powdered sugar in a gallon sized ziploc bag and set aside. If you are adding any of the extras set them in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Put your 4 cups of preferred cereal choice in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Put the bowl with the chocolate chips, Nutella, and butter in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Repeat but set the timer for one minute. Stir, repeat and set the timer for one minute again. Stir and pour over your cereal and mix vigorously with a spatula. Set the mixing bowl back in the microwave for one minute and then stir again. While it would be nice to have it coat evenly over the cereal, you are not Martha and its okay that it is not evenly coated. It will be clumpy and more chocolate on some pieces then others.
- Pour the chocolate covered cereal into the powdered sugar ziploc back. Seal and SHAKE IT BABY!!!! Burn off some stress and shake it to the rhythm of "From the windows, to the walls"....Just shake that darn thing until you cannot shake it anymore. Well, maybe like 3 minutes. Until the cereal is well coated.
- Pour the well coated yummy cereal into a colander and then lightly toss it over the sink to get the excess powdered sugar into the sink and out of your dog chow.
- Optional step: Pour back into mixing bowl and add your extras. Bring on the M&Ms, mini marshmallows, and star shaped sprinkles. This is your yummy mix and you own it!
Possibilities are endless!Click thumbnail to view full-size
What is Nutella Anyway?
Nutella is a hazelnut based spread that is produced and sold by a company called Ferrero. It is gaining alot of US fans even though the company that produces it is based in Italy.
Official Nutella Website
- Nutella USA: The Original Hazelnut Spread®
Nutella is a delicious hazelnut spread that contains quality ingredients, such as skim milk and a hint of cocoa, that moms can serve as part of a balanced breakfast.
Nutella Based Sweet Treat
Where Nutella comes from!
|Serving size: 1/3 Cup|
|Calories from Fat||81|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 9 g||14%|
|Carbohydrates 38 g||13%|
|Sugar 29 g|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Sodium 124 mg||5%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Info about Nutritional Info
I used the basic five ingredients when creating the nutritional value displayed here. Please keep in mind that it is an estimate and does not include if you add additional yummy ingredients.
My Fitness Pal
- Recipe Nutrition Facts, Recipe Nutrition Calculator, Calories in a Recipe | MyFitnessPal.com | MyFit
Free online calorie counter and diet plan. Lose weight by tracking your caloric intake quickly and easily. Find nutrition facts for over 2,000,000 foods and use the nutritional calculator for your recipes.
I have friends that make this gluten free with Chex's gluten free line in Rice or Corn varieties. Below are more options for the cereal base:
- Fiber One
- Peanut Butter Toast Crunch
- Special K
A Rose by any other name
What does your family call dog chow? Let me know in the comments!