How to Make Pulled Pork Mexican, Hawaiian and Smoked Recipe
Want to Know How to Make the Most Delicious Pulled Pork of All Styles?
I'm sure all of us have tasted pulled pork at a barbecue, a friend's gathering, or at some fancy restaurant. Apart from vegetarians, we all love pulled pork. It not only tastes great but is a great way to stretch your dollar further by using the cheaper tougher pork cuts and turning it into something absolutely mouth watering : pork that simply melts in your mouth.
Pork naturally has a sweet and yet savory flavor to it. Add in a hint of smokiness makes it truly divine. To personalize the pork to your taste bud or a certain cultural event, you could also easily add in a hint of Mexican or Hawaiian scent.
The biggest tip, if you leave this page with anything it should be this: Use pork shoulder for this dish. It is considered cheaper than other pork cuts, and the strength and texture of the pork is perfect to accentuate the softness of each bite after it is cooked.
Mexican Style Pulled Pork
This recipe will make enough for 10 servings and takes a total of 9 hours to cook.
- 1 thinly sliced onion
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp cumin grounded
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/5 tbsp ground red pepper
- 1/3 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
- 2 cups bbq sauce
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds of pork loin roast (boneless)
1. Cut off all the excess fat from the pork if it has any
2. Put all the pork in a large enough slow cooker and place the onion on top of the pork
3. Mix together the salsa, spices, herbs and bbq sauce; and pour half of it over the pork and onions
4. Put on the lid and cook on LOW for about 9 hours or until it is tender enough for your liking
5. After the pork is cooked to the tenderness of your liking, use forks to pull it apart into small shreds
6. Mix the remaining sauce and shredded pork together.
7. Use as filling for bread, tortillas or a topping and enjoy!
Hawaiian Style Pulled Pork
This recipe will make enough for 12 servings and takes a total of 4 hours to make.
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- A few thinly sliced ginger
- 1 pound of banana leaves
- Fresh Pineapple spears
- 4 pounds boneless shoulder roast
1. Preheat your oven to 450°F
2. Cut 20-30 slits on all the sides of your pork roast about a finger width apart and fill the slits with halved garlic and ginger slices.
3. Rub sea salt all over the pork evenly and wrap the whole thing with your banana leaves, and only tie together using cotton string!
4. Put the pork with the fat facing upwards, on top of a large foil sheet big enough to completely wrap it.
5. Wrap it up and pop it on a roasting pan rack and into an oven. Add about an inch of water to the bottom of the roasting pan.
6. Roast it for about 40 mins and then lower the temp. to 375°F
7. At the lowered temp. roast for another 3.5 hours or until your desired tenderness.
8. Take it out of the oven and let it cool for a few mins. Transfer it to a container to collect the meat juices. Unwrap the roast pork and throw away the leaves and string.
9. Use forks to tear the pork to shreds, and serve with pineapple spears.
Smokey Smoked Pulled Pork
This recipe will make enough for 15 servings and takes a total of 7 hours to make.
- 5 pounds bone in shoulder pork
- 2 cups bbq sauce
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sea salt
1. Mix the chili powder, brown sugar and sea salt together.
2. Rub this herbal mix over the entire roast.
3. Light the charcoal you are using for your grill (about 35 briquettes) and soak a handful of hickory chips in water.
4. Divide the coals in half and push them to the sides of your grill so it is not in direct contact with the roast.
5. Grill your pork until the desired tenderness at about 190°F , remember to turn it once each hour.
6. Grill for about 6 hours and add additional hot coal if needed.
7. Remove the pork and cover it with foil and let it rest for about half an hour.
8. Use forks to pull it apart into small shreds, and mix your bbq sauce and shredded pork together. Enjoy!