- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Delicious Low Calorie Taco Salad
The Final Product
Healthy Taco Salad
Is it Time for a Family Celebration? How About a Healthy Dish for the Party you've been invited to? This Taco Salad is healthy, easy, and tastes great! It makes a great party dish for a pot luck supper or something easy to throw together for the family. There are many variations and substitutions that I will outline if you read on.
This would be a wonderful, tasty treat for any celebration. Give it a try, and throw your own “flare” into it to make it your own creation. This recipe includes all but 1 of the food groups including; protein (low fat beef), grains (corn chips or tortilla), vegetables (various salad choices), dairy (low fat cheese), and oils/fats (salad dressing and low fat beef). Feel free to have fruit for dessert, or enjoy a lime or strawberry margarita as a before dinner cocktail, and you have got all the food groups covered!
- 1 Pound Lean Ground Round, or Ground Sirloin
- 2/3 Cup Water
- 1 Box Taco Dinner, Includes: Seasoning Mix, Shells, Mild Sauce
- 1 Bag Fresh Baby Spinach
- 1 Bag Mixed Greens Salad
- 1 Cup Low Fat Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- 1/3 Cup Fat Free Catalina, Salad Dressing
- 1 Teaspoon (per serving) Low Fat Sour Cream, Optional
- Brown the beef, cooking it thoroughly. Some like bigger chunks of meat and some like it in pea sized pieces. You make the choice. Once the meat is browned, place it in a colander and run very hot water through it for about 2 to 3 minutes to eliminate as much of the fat and grease as you possibly can.
- Add the taco seasoning mix and 2/3 cup of water and simmer for 10 minutes uncovered. The aroma will fill the house seducing the taste buds of everyone in the room.
- While the meat is simmering, combine both bags of greens in a large bowl. Feel free to add as many of your favorite veggies such as peppers, tomatoes or just a small bit of avocado. Vegetables are high in fiber and vitamins, and low in calories, so feel free to be generous with your choices.
- Toast 3 or 4 of the hard corn shells that came in the taco dinner in a toaster oven until crispy. Crumble them into bite sized pieces and add them to the salad bowl.
- Allow the meat to cool for 5-10 minutes while you combine the rest of the ingredients; dressing and cheese into the salad.
- Add the meat and toss. If you prefer, add a dollop of low fat sour cream to each serving, and ENJOY!
Sour Cream Optional
The Following Nutritional Information Does Not Include any Substitutions
|Serving size: 3 cups|
|Calories from Fat||135|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 15 g||23%|
|Saturated fat 7 g||35%|
|Unsaturated fat 3 g|
|Carbohydrates 27 g||9%|
|Sugar 7 g|
|Fiber 5 g||20%|
|Protein 36 g||72%|
|Cholesterol 78 mg||26%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Rate the Best Taco Salad
For Vegans, Vegetarians and Lactose Intolerant Eaters, try these substitutions:
- The beef may be substituted with ground turkey, kidney beans, or finely chopped tofu.
- You may enjoy the mild taco sauce or salsa in addition to or instead of the Catalina dressing however I feel the dressing is what makes this salad so unique.
- Instead of the low fat shredded cheese, you may use sliced almonds or shredded coconut
- And, of course, if vegan, leave out the low fat sour cream.
Be creative! Choose your favorite foods that meet the requirements of your diet and feel free to make a scrumptious Mexican flavored, healthy salad for you and the family to enjoy frequently.
Thank you for trying this yummy dish. I hope it becomes a healthy meal at your dinner table very often. Feel free to make adjustments according to your taste, and take into consideration the difference in the nutritional value when you do. I guarantee this recipe will put a smile on your face as well as the faces of your loved ones! Don't forget to use it for a pot luck meal at work, church, or any other community gathering. It is sure to be a big hit!
I always welcome feedback, so please feel free to leave a comment.
“Be kind to one another” ~ Ellen
God Bless You ~ Margaret Sullivan
For Gluten Free Taco Seasoning:
- Gluten Free Taco Seasoning - Recipe for Gluten Free Homemade Taco Seasoning
Packaged taco seasoning can be a source of hidden gluten. Make your own gluten free taco seasoning mix and enjoy gluten free tacos- an all-time favorite.