- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Pancake recipe - How to make quick pancakes: step by step instructions with photos for beginners
I do believe that everybody loves pancakes. They are simple and delicious. And I love cooking it even more than eating it! It's like little morning miracle, as I always feel when I work with dough. It's still trick for me how liquid dough turns out fluffy.
Pancakes can be found all over the world, just look at hubs here! I took courage to write this recipe among many existing recipes because it is very easy pancake recipe and very good for beginners. And it is also very flexible with ingredients. When you are learning to cook, it is very important to understand how things work and feel flexible with ingredients, cause you never have all required staff at home (at least I usually don't). I think it's much more fun to create your own recipe with products you have right now. I want to encourage you to experiment with ingredients, to express yourself and to create your own masterpiece recipe for pancakes. I know you can do it!
So I'll show you what you could replace by what. It is also good pancake recipe to use leftovers. For example, here I used sour milk (my normal milk turned out sour after week or so in fridge..). It could be called spoiled and would go to trash bin if I didn't know this recipe for pancake.
Pancakes, which I suggest you to cook, can be called Russian, cause it is tradition recipe for pancake how my Russian grandmother and mother cooked it. But I do believe it is also cosmopolitan one. Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy my pancake recipe.
Quick little pancakes recipe
Preparation time: 10 min
Cooking time: 30 min
- 2 eggs
- 1 glass of sour milk (can be replaced by sour cream or plain yogurt + water to reach consistence of sour milk)
- About 1 glass of all-purpose flour (can be replaced by oat flakes or any other flakes. To get softer pancakes I advice you to soak flakes in warm water or milk for 10 minutes before you start cooking)
- Baking soda, 1/3 of teaspoon (if you don't have it, no problem, you can cook pancakes without soda. Pancakes would be more fluffy with soda, and thinner without it. It is good idea to add one more egg if you don't use baking soda, cause eggs do similar job)
- Pinch of salt and sugar. Don't add too much sugar, cause sugar prevents pancakes from being fluffy
- 2 large peeled apples, finely chopped or grated (you can cook without it or replace it by almost anything, have a look at Variations section below)
As you see, there is only one required ingredient: eggs. Other ingredients could be changed to what you have right now.
Get ready for your great pancakes! Take large bowl and whisk eggs with salt and sugar. Your aim is to make it homogeneous, no need to whip it to foam. You can use mixer or just fork. I usually use forks to do it, because it's faster for me and I like the feeling of making something with my own hands.
Add sour milk or whatever you use to the mixture. Mix it with eggs.
Add flour (or flour substitute) and baking soda (if you use it). I advise you to add a little amount of flour at a time, mix it until lumps are gone and check the dough thickness. You are right if you get thickness of yogurt or sour cream. It can require less or more flour than I wrote, depends on characteristics of flour, eggs, sour milk you use. Anyway, if you are not sure of dough thickness, just start frying pancakes. If they seem too thin for you, then add flour.
Here I tried to show correct dough thickness.
Step 4 (optional)
Add apples or substitute. Mix it well. It is important to add fruits or vegetable right before cooking because they give juice which changes your dough' thickness.
Heat a large skillet over medium to high heat, and pour about 2 tablespoons of oil. I prefer olive oil, use what you like. More oil and higher heat you use - crispier crust you get. Use 1 tablespoon of dough for each pancake. If the heat is right, pancake starts growing when you put dough in skillet. If it doesn't happen, increase heat. Cook until golden, then flip on another side and cook until golden. Then check readiness. It shouldn't be liquid inside. If it is crispy and golden outside, but still half-done inside, then decrease heat.
Enjoy your pancakes! Serve immediately with your favorite sauces. I like pancakes with honey or sour cream. Find out your perfect combination! If you didn't eat all at once (I doubt it), put it in airtight container. I recommend to reheat it in microwave before eating, it'll make pancakes softer.
Variations. Very useful note!
You can cook pancakes by this recipe without apples. Or you can use anything which you find in your fridge!
- Carrot (grated) or cabbage (chopped) - for healthy pancakes.
- Zucchini or pumpkin (chopped or grated) - for tender pancakes, it also works extremely well with company of raisins, mm, I love pumpkin pancakes.
- Potatoes (grated) or cheese (grated) or chopped ham - for nourishing one like potato pancake.
- Add bananas and you'll get banana pancakes - quick and delicious dessert.
Just remember, that if you add solid vegetables, which need time to get ready, make sure to grate it or chop it well, and prepare thiner dough.
Here are my other hubs
- Looking for quick recipe? Vegetarian recipe? 3 simple recipes with potato, cauliflower and lentils
- Eggplant recipe
- Baby names - Beautiful Russian names - how to pronounce and transcription
When you are looking for baby names, consider Russian names. They are pretty unique names among non-Russians. Here is list of beautiful Russian names with tips how to pronounce and transcription.
- IP address. What is my ip? How to change IP? Hide IP?
If you need to know what is IP, what is my IP and how to change IP or hide IP - you're in right place. Probably you think there is no need to read about such dull subject as IP address. But if you spend many hours on the Internet, then I suggest you