- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- East Asian Cuisine
Hunan Spicey Stir-fried Scallops (Lake Dongting Scallops)
Hunan - Lake Dongting Scallops
Hunan Lake Dongting Scallops
Lake Dongting (Lake Tung Ting) is a large, shallow lake in northeastern Hunan province. Located in a flood basin of the Yangtze River, its size varies with the seasons but it is generally considered to be the second largest fresh water lake in China.
It is also considered to be the place of origin for dragon boat racing. This recipe was probably designed for the freshwater scallops from the lake but you can use the larger bay scallops.
Like most Hunan recipes, this one derives its heat from chili peppers rather than from chili sauces or Sichuan peppercorns. You can control the level of heat simply by adjusting the number of dried chili peppers that you use.
It also calls for dried tangerine peel (mandarin orange), which is available in any Chinese grocery, but you can use tangerine or clementine zest. Green bell pepper can be substituted for the red ones and the water chestnuts are optional, but I like the crunch.
1 Lb. of Fresh Scallops (slice ¼ inch thick crosswise)
I Tablespoon Cornstarch
2 Cups of Oil
Mix in a bowl and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
1 Piece of Dried Tangerine Peel
3 Dried Chili Peppers cut into small pieces
1 Teaspoon Minced Ginger Root
1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
3 Scallions cut into pea-size pieces including the green
½ Red Pepper cut into ½ inch squares
½ Cup Sliced Water Chestnuts
Soak the tangerine peel in hot water for 15 minutes and then mince to make about one tablespoon. (Otherwise, you can substitute one teaspoon full of tangerine or clementine zest)
2 tablespoons Black Soy Sauce
3 Tablespoons Ketchup
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1 Tablespoon Dry White Wine
1 Teaspoon Chinese Red Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Water
- Heat the oil in a pan that is large enough that it will be less than half full once the scallops are added. That will keep the hot oil from boiling over and starting a fire, but just in case keep the cover handy.
- Add the scallop mixture half at a time and cook about 30 seconds until they turn white. Remove them with a strainer or slotted spoon and repeat with the second half.
- Transfer two tablespoons of oil to a large heavy frying pan and lightly brown the bell pepper, gingerroot, garlic, scallions and chili peppers including the seeds.
- Then stir in the sauce mixture and continue cooking until it begins to bubble.
- Finally, add the shrimp and the sliced water chestnuts to the pan and stir-fry briefly before serving over cooked rice.
Chinese Stuffed Eggplant
Stir-fried Baby Corn and Broccoli or
Chinese Broccoli in Ginger and Wine Sauce
Stir-fried Garlic Scallops
More Hunan and Sichuan recipes by rjsadowski
- Hunan - Chairman Mao's Red Cooked Pork Belly
Chairman Mao grew up in Hunan province and red-cooked pork belly was his favorite dish. A piece of lean pork belly is first parboiled and allowed to cool. Then it is cut into bite-sized chunks and red-cooked with soy sauce, cinnamon, star anise, ging
- Sichuan Kung Pao Chicken (Spicey Chicken with Peanut...
When you think of Sichuan food you usually think of Kung Pao chicken. Named after a Chinese government official who liked to serve peppery food, the level of heat is controlled by the number of dried chili peppers that you add - as many as eight. Thi
- Sichuan Spicy Beef Stew (Chinese Comfort Food)
Sichuan has more beef dishes than most other Chinese provences and their spicy beef stew is considered to be comfort food. Made with star anise, Sichuan peppercorns and chili bean sauce it is slowly simmered until you get a tasty, spicy but not too h
- Sichuan Pockmarked Woman's Spiced Bean Curd
This is a well known Sichuan recipe. The wife of a Sichuan cook named Chan invented this dish. She was severely pockmarked and hence the name. Normally, bean curd can be rather bland and uninteresting, but not here. This dish is hot enough to make yo
- Sichuan Sliced Chicken Breast Salad (Pong-pong Chick...
Hacked chicken usually refers to chicken that is cut into slices and served cold with some type of sauce poured over it. This recipe calls for poached chicken breasts cut into slices and laid out on a bed of cucumber slices and scallion slivers. Fina
- Sichuan Spicy Shrimp
This recipe for Sichuan spicy shrimp is easy to make and very tasty. The shrimp are marinated in a thin batter and then deep fried. They are then stir-fried in a spicy sauce made with ginger, scallions, garlic, chili peppers, ketchup and sesame seed