- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Easy Italian Eggplant Recipe
For a long time, I was intimidated by eggplants. I would order them in restaurants, but would just walk right by them in the grocery store because I was didn't know what to do with them. One day, I came across a really great sale on eggplants, and decided to be brave and try to cook them. I read a few recipes to get some ideas, and then got to work. After a few trial and error attempts, I created this recipe for Italian Eggplant, and it has become my favorite.
1 large eggplant
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 can of tomato sauce
1 tsp. fresh basil
1 clove garlic
¼ cup parmesan cheese
Pour olive oil into non-stick skillet and heat over high heat. While olive oil is heating, slice eggplant. Cut eggplant in half lengthwise, and then cut each half into very thin slices. When the olive oil is hot, add the eggplant. Sauté until lightly browned on both sides. Remove and drain.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix the tomato sauce, basil, and garlic together. Place half the eggplant in an 8 X 8 balking dish. Pour half the tomato sauce mixture over the eggplant. Repeat with the remaining eggplant and tomato sauce. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over he top. Bake for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Instead of using tomato sauce mixed with basil and garlic, you can use your favorite spaghetti sauce or homemade marinara sauce.
- You can substitute zucchini for the eggplant, or prepare the recipe with a combination of both zucchini and eggplant.
- If you really love cheese, you can add shredded mozzarella to the recipe. You can also add an extra layer of cheese in between the first and second layers of vegetables.
- This dish can be served as a vegetarian main course with a side salad and a serving of crusty French bread for a complete meal.
- This rich vegetable dish also makes a terrific side dish alongside chicken parmesan or a thick grilled steak flavored with Italian seasoning.