Key West Key Lime Pie Recipe
The Original Key Lime Pie Is A No Bake Recipe
The original Key Lime Pie recipe is a no bake version because there was a lack of supplies available to the residents of the Keys prior to 1930. The Overseas Highway was not completed until 1930 and the Keys had limited available electricity, ice and refrigeration. Condensed milk was a staple often used to replace fresh milk since it could be kept with out refrigeration. Key Lime juice when combined with sweetened condensed milk starts a chemical reaction called "souring". Souring is a thickening process when the two ingredients are combined.
The first documented Key Lime Pie recipe comes from William Curry in the 19th century. "Rich Bill" was a famous ship salvager who became a millionaire from his business ventures. William Curry employed a cook named Aunt Sally. Aunt Sally perfected her Key Lime Pie recipe for "Rich Bill" from the recipe commonly used by local fishermen. Local fisherman were out on their boats for many days without the use of an oven. No bake Key lime pie was a recipe used often on the fishing boats of the Key sponge fisherman. Aunt Sally combined Key Lime juice, eggs and sweetened condensed milk. Baking Key Lime pie came later when electricity became available to the Keys. Baking makes for a thicker version of Key Lime pie and eliminates the danger of eating raw eggs.
Original Key Lime Juice - Nellie and Joe's
What Makes A Key Lime Different From Other Limes
Key limes are smaller than regular limes. They are green when unripened and yellow when ripe and are the size of a ping pong ball. The Key lime has a flavor that is a bit more bitter and tart than that of a standard lime. The Key lime most likely arrived in Florida via the Spanish explorers in the 1500's. Key lime trees were decimated during the hurricane of 1926 and the crops were replaced with Persian limes at many plantations in the Keys.
Key lime juice and Key limes are used to make many delicious foods and desserts. Kermit's Key West Key Lime Shoppe in the heart of Key West offers delicacies beyond Key lime pie. At Kermit's Key West Key Lime Shoppe you will find frozen Key lime pie, key lime chutney, candies, Key lime jellies and cookies, barbecue sauces, spices and rubs, key lime syrups, drink mixes, Key lime oil and Key lime juice.
Steve's Authentic Key Lime Pies is a Brooklyn, New York, based dessert company. The owner, Steve Tarpin, started his dessert business in his studio apartment and has grown his company. His pies are highly sought after. Steve's Authentic Key Lime Pies use only the freshest ingredients and fresh squeezed lime juice in their pie recipes. Steve started his business out of his love and admiration for the Florida Keys which started from a Boy Scout trip that he took to the Keys when he was just a kid. Visit Steve at Steve's Authentic Key Lime Pies.
Sweetened condensed milk, eggs, and graham cracker crust make this pie delectable. It is the Key lime juice that makes this refreshing dessert memorable. Fresh squeezed juice is preferred for use in this recipe but Key limes are often hard to come by if you do not reside in the Florida Keys. Bottled Key lime juice is readily available and can be ordered online if your local market does not carry it. Try Nellie & Joe's bottled Key lime juice if making a pie without fresh Key limes.
Easy Key Lime "Conch" Pie Recipe
Key lime pie is yellow when prepared properly because of the Key lime juice and the use of egg yolks. It is highly frowned upon to use green food coloring to color a Key lime pie. Key lime pie is always yellow, never green. It is not frowned upon to choose various toppings for your pie.
The following recipe is an easy recipe for Conch Key lime pie. Conch Key lime pie is traditionally made with meringue. There is often debate over how to top Key lime pie. Should it be served with meringue, whipped cream or plain? I prefer the meringue because the mellow, cool foaminess of the meringue lends itself nicely to the super sweet and tangy Key lime pie filling.
If you prefer the pie sans meringue, feel free to omit it. You can chooses to top your pie with fresh whipped cream just before serving instead of the meringue. Whipped cream also works nicely if you are in a hurry and would like to skip beating the egg whites.
Rate My Pie, Sugar!
- 4 egg yolks, save whites for meringue
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk, 14 oz.
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed Key lime juice, substitute bottled if fresh is not available
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup sugar, granulated
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 4 egg whites, saved from above
- 6 tbsp. sugar, granulated
- 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
- For Graham Cracker Crust: Combine graham cracker crumbs, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/3 cup melted butter. Press evenly into bottom of 9" pie pan and bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. Remove to cool while preparing Key lime filling.
- For Key Lime Filling: Reduce the heat of the oven to 325 degrees F. Whisk egg yolks together in a medium bowl. Stir in the 1/2 cup lime juice and 1/2 cup heavy cream. Pour filling into graham cracker pie crust and bake for 20 minutes. Remove pie from oven and increase heat to 350 degrees F.
- For Meringue Topping: Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer in a medium bowl until soft peaks form. In a small bowl combine 6 tbsp. sugar and 1/2 tsp. cornstarch. Stir dry ingredients until well blended. Add dry ingredients to the egg whites a little at a time and blend with mixer between adding dry ingredients until all dry ingredients are incorporated. Spoon the egg white mixture on top of the pie in small peaks and bake for 10 to 12 minutes until the meringue is lightly browned. Serve pie warm.
What Is Your Favorite Key Lime Pie Topping?
Which Pie Topping Do You Prefer?
More Favorite Dessert Recipes
- Easy and Delicious Cookie Press or Spritz Cookie Recipe
Fall in love again with spritz or pressed cookies. This cookie recipe is so versatile that it can be used at any time of the year and not just during the holidays. Find recipes for cinnamon spritz cookies, almond spritz cookies, vanilla butter presse
- Chewy and Delicious Seven Layer Bars
Seven layers of yum and so easy to make! My grandmother made these for every family holiday or party. Chewy coconut and melty chocolate make this recipe one that your family will cherish, too!
- Take Me to Key West
Key West destinations and activities are reviewed after being enjoyed. Do you want to know where to eat, what to see and what do do while you are in Key West?
- I Love Western Mass
Western Mass is a loosely defined region of Massachusetts. There is nothing like autumn in Massachusetts. Old New England charm and beautiful countryside makes Western Mass a great place to visit.