Kids Cook Monday: Easy Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
An American Classic
Grilled cheese sandwiches are my favorite sandwich, and are arguably a memory of most of our childhoods. Teaching your kids how to make grilled cheese with various flavors will help stretch this classic as well as their ability to prepare an afternoon snack or Saturday lunch.
This time preparation is approximate for two sandwiches. Of course, if you are making more sandwiches, preparation will require more time. Estimate an extra 5 minutes per two sandwiches, unless you are preparing with oversized bread. The Foreman Grill, which I use for my grilled sandwiches, fits two sandwiches or folded sandwich wraps.
- (Amount Varies to your likeness) Main Cheese, (Your choice of: Gouda, Cheddar, Colby, Swiss)
- (To taste - I use a pinch or two) Dried Basil
- (Enough to cover a piece of bread) tomato slices, lightly salted & peppered, (Sliced according to your thickness preference)
- (about 1/4 - 1/2 amount of Main Cheese) Complimentary Cheese, (Your choice of: feta, romana, mozzarella, parmesan)
- Bread or tortilla wrap
Assembly & Preparation
- Preheat a Foreman Grill, or similar small appliance, removing the need for butter.
- Assemble sandwiches & place on grill. Close grill. When light shuts off, sandwich should be ready.
The idea of this recipe is to get your kids to realize they can make a tasty sandwich easily. Avocado slices, spinach, tuna, chicken, etc., all make excellent additions to a grilled cheese sandwich. Depending on which you choose, switch your herbs. For example, dried dill with mozzarella & provolone are excellent with flaked tuna. Hungry for avocado? Try a pinch of cilantro and cayenne pepper. Chicken? Rosemary, parmesan & gouda are a delicious combination.
Let your kids experiment.
You May Also Enjoy
Discuss the benefits of different herbs. Did you know oregano has anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties? Tomatos are rich in anti-oxidant lycopene? Avocados are considered a superfood? Teach them that eating healthy is fun and tastes great. Discuss the difference between using whole grain and white flour foods, and how simple choices benefit your bodies.