About Kofta curry
Kofta is a family of meatball or meatloaf dishes found in indian subcontinent, South Caucasian, Middle Eastern, Balkan, and Central Asian cuisines. In the simplest form,koftas consist of balls of minced or ground meat--usually beef,chicken, lamb, pork, mixed vegetables or pulses--mixed with spices or onions.
Koftas in India are usually served and cooked in a spicy curry/gravy and are eaten with boiled rice or a variety of breads. In India, koftas can be served as a vegetarian or non vegetarian dish, vegetarian varieties include kofta made from potato,calabah, paneer, lentils or banana.
Process for making Koftas
1.Soak the split chickpeas(chana dal) for 2 hours.
2.when they are soft, coarsely grind them in the food processor.Take care not to use much water while grinding. The paste should be thick enough to just drop off from spoon.
3.In a large bowl take split chickpeas(chana dal) paste, add ginger garlic paste, chopped onion, chopped green chillies, chopped coriander leaves,boiled mashed potato, grated carrot and carom seed(ajwain).Combine all ingredients & mix well.
4.Then make a small ball out of this mixture.
5.Heat oil in a pan.
6.Once the oil is hot enough, deep fry the balls on medium heat until they turn light brown on either side.
7.Drain the balls on clean & absorbent paper towels and keep aside.
8.Remember to keep 1/2 cup of the kofta batter aside, to add in the gravy.
How to make curry/gravy
- Heat oil in a wok over medium flame, add green chillies, bay leaf, pods of cardamom and cumin seed.
- When it start spluttering add chopped onion fry till it turns golden brown.
- Then, add onion paste and saute for few minutes.
- Add ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, everest chicken masala powder and chilli powder, saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and cashew nut paste.
- Then add salt and saute well over medium flame until the oil starts leaving the sides of pan.
- Add batter of chickpeas which was kept aside and saute for 1 more minute.Since its a split chickpea mixture the gravy will become thick.
- Add 1 cup of water, if you want you can add more cups of water. Then add garam masala.
- Cover the wok with lid and allow it to simmer for 4 minutes.
- Now, add kofta balls in the gravy and cook for few minutes.
- Once the curry is cooked, add chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve it with rice or roti (wheat flat bread).
Notes to remember
- Keep all the ingredients ready
- Remember,don't boil the gravy with koftas for too long, koftas will disintegrate.
Ingredients for kofta curry
For koftas ball:
- 150gm split chickpeas, soaked
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic, paste
- 4-5 green chillies, chpped
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 medium boiled potato, mashed
- 1/4 teaspoon carom seed/ajwain
- 1/2 teaspoon salt/as required
- 1/2 cup refined oil/olive oil, for frying
For the curry/gravy:
- 2 medium size onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger garlic, paste
- 2 medium size tomato, puree
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 pods cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cashew nuts, paste
- 1 bayleaf
- 1 teaspoon red chilli, powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala, powder
- 4-5 green chillies
- 1 teaspoon onion paste
- 1 tablespoon everest chicken masala
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
© 2020 Supriyasharma