- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Lankford Grocery Texas Chicken Hash Recipe
Lankford's Grocery & Market and restaurant in Houston Texas is managed by local legend, Eydie Lankford Prior. They originally founded this business in 1939 with a small town grocery store and later in the 1970s started to expand their menue items to burgers. This is their recipe for Texas Chicken Hash that is only served on Saturdays at their restaurant. It is so delicious, and blends perfectly. The tortilla on the bottom adds a nice crunch to the chicken mixture. and if you are looking for something different that eggs and bacon for breakfast than this is perfect. Enjoy the Texas Chicken Hash
- 2 Boneless Chicken Breasts
- Sprinkle Chili Powder
- Sprinkle Garlic Powder
- 4 Red potatoes, diced
- 1 Stick Butter, or substitute with 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 Red pepper, diced
- 1 Green Pepper, diced
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Cups Cheese
- 1/4 Cup, Water to keep cheese sauce consistency
- 6 eggs, For frying and placing on top
- 1 1 habenero pepper, chopped, Can Use a Jalapeno instead
- oil for frying
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place your chicken breast in a Glass 9x 13 pan. Sprinkle with Chili Powder And Garlic powder.Cover with Aluminum Foil, and bake 45 min till done.
- Place your Chopped Potatoes; green pepper;onion; and butter and cook till your potatoes are tender.
- Remove your chicken when done and finely chop and add to your potato mixture.
- In a small saucepan heat your 4 Tablespoons of butter. When melted add your 1/2 cup flour and stir till thickens.This is your roux.
- Slowly add the milk to your small saucepan and continue to stir to get the lumps out. Add the chopped red peppers and habenero, and stir well. Stir in your shredded or grated cheese.Turn your burner on low till ready to serve. Use the 1/4 cup water as needed in small increments to keep your sauce a thinner consistency.
- In another frying pan put a little oil on it and add the eggs. Cook the eggs sunny side up. set aside
- Get out your fryer- or add enough vegetable oil in a pot to float the tortillas. When boiling and ready- start frying your con tortillas. If you push them down with a spoon when they are frying than it will create a little bowl like center for your filling. Fry them till they look a little crunchy just a few minutes. Set aside till all done.
- Now its time to layer it. Place your fried tortilla on your plate, and then add your chicken hash, fried egg and drizzle with your homemade cheese sauce. Serve...