Lemon Cake Recipe
lemon cake recipe & lemon/lime icing
This is a real tangy moist lemon cake recipe with a lemon icing that will wake up your taste buds. Lemon cake is among one of the most popular cakes around and often searched for on google.
I am a real cake lover and enjoy a good chocolate cake like the Devils food cake, but I still find that I have a craving for a tangy citrus flavoured cake. With this recipe you can do a single layer or I have used for this quantity 2 cake tins 20cm each and I do a double cake with mango jam to sandwich them together. Get yourself a nice cake dome to present it and you can just cut a slice every time you walk past it.
This recipe is really easy to make. Don't be concerned when it comes out of the oven looking pale, that's just how it is. Don't forget to insert a tooth pick or a thin knife to check your cake is baked, when removed the knife should come out clean, if so, then your cake is cooked if not place back in the oven for a further 5 minutes.
Tools to help you
- 2 1/2 cups Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 cup Butter
- Pinch Salt
- 4 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Plain yogurt
- Rind & Juice of 1 lemon or 2 key limes
- 1 1/4 cup Sugar
Cake Batter Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Mix the flour, salt & baking powder together, Rub in the butter then mix in the sugar to the crumb mixture.
- Whisk your eggs with the Rind and juice of the lemon. Add to flour mix along with the yogurt and mix to a thick sticky cake paste. Place the batter into cake tin of 20cm and bake for 50-60 mins depending on your oven.
- 1 cup Icing sugar
- Rind & juice of 1 lemon/key lime
- Add more lime juice as needed.
Other suggested fillings
- Lemon curd
- Raspberry jam
- Lime/Orange marmalade
- Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl and zest a lemon or lime into the powder.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon or limes into the powder mix until the right consistency is aquired which allows you to pour and spread the icing mix.