Lemon Parmesan Pasta & Girls Night Out
Girls Night Out (GNO)
So your week’s coming to an end. Finally! You made it to Friday Eve, aka Thursday, and you’re counting down until quitting time on Friday. It’s been ages since you've had some good “Girlfriend Time” with your favorite gal pals. You’re talking about your week with one of them on Thursday and realize her week’s been much like yours. All of sudden one of you says... “Girls Night Out”! The decision is made to gather and plans are put in motion.
Of course a GNO means different things to different gals. For some it’s going out for dinner, etc. For some it’s a movie or two. For some it’s the bar scene. For me and my gal pals it usually means gathering at my house for a meal and whatever else develops. Sometimes we may watch a chic flick or we might pull out the cards or some other game. Very often we simply just sit and talk.
We have one rule. It must be casual and simple with little fuss.
So I decide on a good stand by … Lemon Parmesan Pasta. Everyone likes it and I usually have the ingredients on hand. I will make the pasta and everyone else brings the go alongs. All you need to complete this dinner is a salad and good bread. Chicken (one of those rotisserie ones from the deli section at the grocery) is also good but not necessary. Fruit and / or ice cream complete this easy and quick meal. Stuff that the gals can make a quick stop and pick it up if she doesn't happen to have it on hand. Simple for everyone!
Sharing a meal and laughing with girlfriends is a great way to end a week filled with appointments, goals and deadlines. Don’t add unnecessary work on yourself by thinking you have to scrub the house spotless. That is not allowed within the one rule. Do a quick tidy up, keep the lights low so the dusty furniture is not noticed and enjoy yourself. Don’t apologize for it not being sparkling. I promise your friends do not need a white glove inspection. Like you, what they need and want is the most precious and valuable thing each of us has …Time with each other … to share some laughter and fellowship!
- 1 Pound Angle Hair Pasta
- 2-3 Large Lemons, Zested & Squeezed
- 1 Bunch Curly parsley, Chopped
- 1 Cup Good Parmesan Cheese (not the stuff in can), Shredded
- 1/2 Stick Butter (not margarine)
Put It Together
- In large pot, cook pasta to al dente. Be sure and do not overcook. While the pasta is cooking, zest and juice the lemons and chop the parsley. Drain the pasta. In large heavy skillet or wok, melt butter over medium – high heat. Add, in this order, juice and zest, parsley and pasta. Stir quickly to distribute and coat the pasta. Add about half of the cheese. Remove from heat and stir well. Salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with rest of cheese. Enjoy!
- This goes well with rotisserie or grilled chicken or fish. Add a salad and you’ve got a quick and easy meal. Add a handful of chopped broccoli and chopped ham and have a complete meal. Ideas for other variations & additions - Get Creative Handful fresh spinach Sliced fresh mushrooms – any kind Sliced Almonds Use Asiago Cheese This dish is a good make a day ahead. Or, prep all the ingredients ahead of time and put together right before serving (be sure and coat the pasta with a little veggie oil). It reheats very well in the microwave. The flavors intensify overnight.