Low Fat Appetizer Recipe: Layered Ham Tortilla Snack
Looking for a low fat appetizer that everyone in your family will eat? Unless you share the recipe for this tasty treat, no one has to know that it's a low fat snack. It's a perfect dish for potluck dinners, Super Bowl party spreads, and any other special occasion that involves enjoying delicious snacks!
Low Fat Ham Tortilla Snack Recipe
- 2 packages reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 package fat free cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 of a cup of plain, nonfat yogurt
- 1/4 cup of reduced fat Italian salad dressing
- 1 medium green pepper
- 3 green onions
- 8 flour or whole wheat tortillas
- 2 pounds of deli ham, shaved
1. Finely chop the green pepper and green onions.
2. Place the cream cheese, yogurt, and Italian dressing in a large mixing bowl and combine until mixture is smooth and well blended.
3. Add the green pepper and green onions to the cream cheese, yogurt, and salad dressing mixture. Stir until vegetables are distributed fairly evenly throughout the mixture. This is your tortilla filling.
4. Divide the shaved deli ham into seven approximately equal stacks.
5. Place one tortilla on a tray or plate.
6. Spread approximately 1/7 of the filling mixture (approximately 1/2 cup) on the tortilla.
7. Top with 1/7 of the shaved ham.
8. Place a second tortilla on top of the ham.
9. Repeat spreading filling on tortillas and topping with ham until the stack is topped off with the final tortilla.
10. Wrap with saran wrap or place in an airtight container and allow to chill for several hours prior to serving.
11. To serve, cut into wedges.
One of the reasons this appetizer is so perfect for parties and other types of get togethers is that it is a self-contained snack. It can be hard for dieters to choose raw veggies for their dips when everyone else is eating chips. With this healthy appetizer, there's no tough choice to make. Everything you need to enjoy this dish is included, and it's made from healthful ingredients that dieters and non-dieters alike will enjoy.
Wedges of this snack stack are a perfect choice for low fat weekday lunches. They will keep well in the refrigerator for several days, and are great sources of low fat energy. If you use whole wheat tortillas, this recipe provides nutrition from whole grain, vegetables, and low fat dairy products.