- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Low cost and easy spaghetti dinner 2016
This vegetarian, no meat, low cost spaghetti dinner recipe is nutritious, simple, and delicious. I always plan dinners on a budget -- yet incorporate nutrition and taste -- into my meals. This recipe has no meat, but you can always add meat to suit your taste.
- 1 box of whole wheat (or regular) spaghetti = $1.50
- 1 can of crushed or pureed tomatoes (28 oz) = $1.00 (on sale)
- 1 bag of ready-to-eat salad = $2.00
- 1 loaf of Italian bread = $2.00
- 8oz of fresh mushrooms - $2.00
- 2 cloves of garlic = $.50
TOTAL = $9.00
- Put water in a large pot to boil.
- Open your can of sauce, put it in a 2 quart pan, turn the burner on medium-low. Add some fresh ground pepper, and other spices as desired.
Note: I typically buy a can of tomatoes without sugar and salt and add my own. This is also healthier than ready to eat spaghetti sauce, and usually cheaper.
- Wash and slice your fresh mushrooms and put in your sauce.
- Peel your garlic, put the garlic in a garlic press, put into your sauce.
- Note: Some people prefer to buy the peeled garlic in jars; however, I prefer fresh garlic. Optionally, garlic powder can be used.
- While your sauce is cooking, and the water is getting ready to boil, open your bag of pre-made salad, put into bowls and into the refrigerator.
- Set the table, stir your sauce.
This low cost spaghetti dinner is fairly quick to make, continually delicious, and consistently a perfect dinner -- with ingredients that you can mix and blend to serve your purpose.