- Food and Cooking
How to make apple butter, an easy recipe for fall!
Easy apple butter!
Apple butter highly concentrated, usually made by slow cooking cider, apples and water where it forces the sugar in the apples to caramelize, this gives the final result a beautiful deep brown color that is delicious and spreadable. The sugar also provides a long shelf life. A jar in your fridge could easily last over a year!
There are a lot of uses for apple butter, it's great for many recipes, but equally tasty as a spread on a nice piece of toast!
Make your own apple butter easily, and have a great preserve to enjoy for a long time.
Apple butter, perfect for fall
Try your apple butter on...
- Corn bread
- Pork chops
- Grilled cheese
- PB&J sandwiches
Make apple butter with these ingredients
- 4 lbs Apples-peeled and chopped, assorted (your choice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 pinch cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Apple butter ready to enjoy
Making your apple butter
- Preheat your oven to 250
- In an oven safe pot, or dutch oven combine the salt, brown sugar, apple cider, and apples. Partially cover and cook until the apples are nice and soft. About 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add in the vanilla, cloves, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Stir well.
- Place the entire mixture into a food processor and puree. Or use a stick blender if that is easier.
- Put the mixture back in your oven proof pot and cook for 2.5 to 3 hours, stirring every 30 minutes or so. The apple butter is finished when it becomes a thick deep amber color.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Once cool, seal in an airtight container and enjoy your apple butter!
Uses for lemons!
- Lemons and their many uses!
A simple fruit, full of uses you may have never considered! When life gives you lemons, use them in many ways, not just for making lemonade!
© 2013 Rebecca