Sugar-free Granola, a Healthy Breakfast for your Kids and the whole Family
Why frugal cooks, moms and health fanatics will love this recipe:
- Approx. 70-80% cheaper than similar breakfast cereals from the health food store
- Contains no unhealthy ingredients, food coloring or preservatives
- Sweetened with honey. Contains no sugar, corn syrup or artificial sweeteners
- Contains no unhealthy transfats
- Contains no pesticides or GMOs (just make sure that you buy organic ingredients)
- You can mix in the nuts and seeds that you like or leave them out altogether.
- You can add dried berries or dried fruit pieces for extra taste once the product is cooled down
- A little effort goes a long way: This recipe makes a huge quantity that feeds your family for up to a month! Keeps fresh for weeks in an airtight container
You don't have to buy expensive breakfast cereals from the health food store - make your own with this simple recipe
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day but most store bought cereals are highly processed and full of sugar. This inexpensive and simple recipe is sweetened with honey and gives you the extra boost that keeps you going all day. As it is packed with the goodness of grains and seeds you will find it a lot heavier and more dense than the average cereal and it will fill you up a lot quicker. Best of all, this recipe makes enough to feed two people for 3 - 4 weeks. All you need is an airtight container to keep it fresh.
This granola also makes a healthy and filling snack for in-between meals and is a good alternative to expensive and highly processed granola bars.
If you are worried that you cannot eat such a huge quantity, just half the recipe or give some of your home-made granola away. Makes a great gift!
If you are a busy mom: Did you know that most breakfast foods marketed for kids are totally unhealthy and can make your kid hyperactive, obese or dependent on sugar!
Which cereals are bad for your kids: EWG study
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day
Honey roasted oat breakfast cereal (makes enough to feed 2 persons for 3-4 weeks!)
Makes approx. 40 portions
Preparation: 10 – 15 minutes
Baking: 80 minutes (mixture needs to be taken out the oven and stirred every 20 minutes)
Preheat oven to 120° C / 250° F.
12 cups (approx. 1 kg), old-fashioned rolled oats (preferably organic)
1 ½ cups sunflower seeds
1 cup wheat germ
¼ cup sesame seeds
½ cup powdered milk
Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
¼ cup water
1 ½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup vegetable oil
¾ cup honey
Heat water and add salt until dissolved. Add oil and honey, mix well.
Pour over dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Pour mixture into 2 large baking trays and bake for 80 minutes at 120° C / 250° F.
Important: Take trays out the oven every 20 minutes and stir mixture so that it will bake evenly and not burn. Let cool down completely and store in big airtight container for up to 4 weeks.
If you like nuts, add a handful of sliced almonds or chopped walnuts before baking.
If you like dried fruit, mix in some raisins, dried blueberries or cranberries or dried chopped apricots after baking.