- Food and Cooking
Making Bread - Basic Recipe
This is an easy to make basic bread recipe that will produce a 2lb loaf. Once you have the basic recipe you can then venture into adding other ingredients like bran, nuts or fruit.
Imagine the smell of your own bread baking in the oven. Removing a hot loaf, cutting through the crust and spreading butter and watching it melt just before eating. There is nothing more satisfying than producing your own home made loaf for friends to snack on.
One of the most popular Bread machines around. Check out some of the 1,357 reviews on Amazon.
Why not read some more
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbs sugar heaped
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 good glug olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
For a variation on this loaf, why not make a breakfast bread by following the same recipe but adding 2tsp vanilla extract, 1cup of currants & 2 tsp of cinnamon powder.
- Preheat the oven to 220c/425f
- Place all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix together well.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry mix and add a good glug of olive oil into the middle & pour the warm water into the flour. Mix in well to form a soft dough.
- Once the dough is formed, knead well adding a little flour as needed. (The more you can knead the dough the better).
- Place back into your bowl, lightly oiled to stop sticking. Cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap and leave in a warm place to rest for about 40 mins.,
- Give the dough a second knead and form to the shape you want. Leave to rise for 30-40 mins. Place into the middle of a pre-heated oven to bake for 30-40 mins.
Have fun with your bread
Why not have fun making different shapes of bread, even using a pair of scissors. After your bread has risen, put small snips in the dough. With more snips and brush over with milk for a nice crispy crust.
- Add all the dry ingredients to the bread pan followed by wet ingredients.
- Program your machine for a 2lb bread, Basic bread program.
- Wait until it's baked
Tips for breadmaking
- When you think your bread is done, remove from the oven and tap the base, if it sounds hollow, it's ready.
- To avoid your bread sticking to the baking sheet, line it with a silicone sheet for 100% sucess.
- Salt is important in breadmaking, always make sure it has been added to your mix.