- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Easy Healthy Sweet Potatoes Recipe: Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Sour Cream and Cinnamon
Did you try the recipe? Share your opinion!
Grow Your Own Sweet Potatoes
Originally I started making mashed sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving. I love sweet potatoes so now I make them throughout the year as well, even when there isn't a special occasion. I created this variation myself.
In addition to being perfect for Thanksgiving, this is a great side dish for most meat entrees. I frequently serve the potatoes with these pork chops and a simple vegetable side.
Learn About Sweet Potatoes
- 3 medium-large sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 generous tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Fill a large pot with water. Start the boiling process while you scrub and peel the potatoes.
- Add the potatoes to the pot. Cover. When the pot starts to boil, turn the heat to medium and crack the lid.
- Boil for 20-25 minutes or until you can easily stick a fork all the way through the potatoes.
- Drain. Mash the potatoes with a fork. Add the butter, sour cream, milk, and cinnamon. Beat with a hand mixer until the mixture is creamy.
- Turn the heat to low and stir until heated through. Serve immediately. Can't finish it all at once? It makes a wonderful leftover, too.
Baked Sweet Potato Wedges With Garlic Dipping Sauce
More Great Sweet Potato Recipes
- Sweet potato pancakes. If you love regular and/or potato pancakes and are looking for something to switch up your regular routine, give this a try.
- Baked sweet potato recipes. Who else loves to cook with the oven? Check out this collection of baked recipes from hubber Live N Learn that includes a selection of sweet potato desserts.
- Sweet potato ravioli with lemon sage brown butter sauce. What could be more amazing that sweet potato ravioli? I'm not sure, but this is sure to wow your family as well as dinner guests, especially with the butter sauce.
- BBQ sausage and sweet potatoes. Kristy has an easy recipe for roasted sweet potato cubes and the sausage links of your choice, all coated with a generous dose of your favorite BBQ sauce.
- Guaranteed crispy sweet potato fries and sriracha mayo dip. Karen has been perfecting her sweet potato fry recipe and guarantees that this version will produce crispy fries every time.
- Sweet potato soup. Instead of potatoes, you can substitute sweet potatoes for many different kinds of soups. This one includes beans, pasta, and lots of vegetables.
- Sweet potato soup, take 2. The first recipe that I listed here has cubed sweet potatoes. If you prefer pureed soup, check out this recipe instead. Of course if you're not picky, you'll have to try both.
- Sweet potato & chickpea hash with fried eggs. Similar to soup, you can substitute sweet potatoes for a breakfast. Natalie has an original recipe here that includes chickpeas. You'll get a lot of protein in this dish.
- Sweet potato quinoa cakes with blackberry salsa. For those of you who are looking for more ways to enjoy the quinoa trend, this is a great option.