Mexican Pizza (Vegetarian)
- 2 cans refried beans
Be sure to purchase cans labelled "vegetarian" otherwise the beans may contain lard, an unhealthy saturated fat
- 8 large flour or corn tortillas
My favorite is Trader Joe's Handmade Flour Tortillas
- Shredded Mexican blend or Cheddar cheese
- Taco Seasoning*
How to Make Your Own Taco Seasoning
I recently discovered that it's super easy and less expensive to make your own taco seasoning and you don't have to add the unneeded ingredients used in packaged taco seasoning such as preservatives to keep it fresh and prevent "caking" If you already do a good amount of cooking, you probably have all of the necessary ingredients.
Taco seasoning recipe
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Directions for Making Mexican Pizzas
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Mix together 2 cans of refried beans and taco seasoning & heat on medium until hot
- Place tortilla wraps on cookie sheets & cook in preheated oven for 3-5 minutes (until lightly browned on bottom)
- Remove from oven & flip
- Top with heated refried beans
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese
- Heat in oven for 3-5 additional minutes, until cheese is melted
- Remove from oven & let cool
- Serve with plain Greek yogurt & your favorite salsa
Mexican Pizza is a great meal for Dipping
Plain Greek yogurt
I have replaced all uses of sour cream with plain Greek yogurt. The taste is very similar and the yogurt has many added health benefits, including high in protein & calcium and low in carbohydrates.
Fresh made salsa is always best, but if you don't have the time, or it is not the right season, I'm certain your local grocery store will offer a plentiful variety.
- Visit my profile and click the "Follow" button to be updated when I write more hubs.