- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Multi-Grain Muffins - Mucho Gusto!
Great Basic Whole Grain Muffin Recipe
Lightly sweetened with fruit and honey, Multi Grain Muffins are a versatile and tasty treat for young and old. Good source of fiber and B vitamins, they make a hearty addition to breakfast or a wonderful snack.
Add raisins or other non-sulfured dried fruit for additional texture and nutrition.
I make these with farm fresh eggs from our own beloved hens!
- 1 cup + 1/3 cup Multigrain rolled cereal, such as Country Choice or Bob's Red Mill
- 1 1/2 cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder, non-aluminum
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp + 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup mashed banana, very ripe
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk, or water
- 1/2 cup + 1 TBSP raw honey
- 1/4 cup organic sunflower oil
- 1 large egg, free-range or pastured
- 1/4 cup organic butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Farenheit. Prepare a nonstick muffin pan with oil or paper liners.
- Place the cereal, flour, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Toss lightly to mix and lighten.
- Place the mashed banana, milk or water, honey, oil and egg in the blender and whip until smooth.
- Make a hole in the center of the dry ingredients and pour all of the liquid into the center. Mix thoroughly, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl, just until all of the dry ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix.
- Scoop 1/3 cup batter into each of 12 muffin cups. Reserve.
- Make Streusel Topping: Mix 2 Tbsp melted butter, 1 Tbsp honey and 1/3 cup rolled cereal together until well blended. Mixture should be crumbly.
- Sprinkle the muffins with about 2 tsp of the topping, dividing the topping fairly equally among the muffins.
- Turn the oven down to 350 degrees and bake the muffins 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out dry.
- High Altitude: Add 2 Tbsp flour + 1/4 tsp baking soda. Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for 20-25 minutes.
|Serving size: 1 Muffin|
|Calories from Fat||63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 7 g||11%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Carbohydrates 33 g||11%|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 23 mg||8%|
|Sodium 149 mg||6%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|