- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Pies & Tarts
No Bake Blueberry Pie in 3 Easy Steps
Storing: To avoid quick spoiling, wash only blueberries that you can consume because rinsing soften blueberries quickly. Refrigerate the rest unwashed. Store in plastic container.
Life Span: Fresh blueberries when packaged or stored properly will last up to two weeks. Frozen ones can stay up to a year without damaging its delicate anthocyanin -antioxidants.
Picking: Pick firm and sweet smelling blueberries. Fresh blueberries show signs of silvery sheen or dusty color.
For the crust (or you can use pre-made):
2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
2 tablespoon granulated sugar (optional since the wafer is already sweet)
4 tablespoon softened butter (unsalted)
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Grease pie plate and press mixture into bottom and sides of the pie plate.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 5 minutes and cool.
Did you know?
Most blueberry flavored foods like cereals, muffin, bagel are only made of artificial flavors and dyes to imitate blueberries. They do not actually contain real blueberries. Source: 2011 Consumer Wellness Center investigation.
For the filling:
1 cup fresh blueberries (or frozen)
¼ cup cream cheese at room temperature
3 tablespoon whipping cream
1 cup softened marshmallows
¼ cup maple syrup (or honey)
1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- Mix all ingredients until smooth.
- Pour filling over baked crust pie.
- Freeze for 2-3 hours.
You can either use a food processor to mix all ingredients or simply do it manually.
Total Preparation Time: 15 minutes plus freezing time of 2-3 hours.
Do you like blueberries?
Serves 8 on a 9 inch pie crust
Serve with extra toppings of fresh blueberries and drizzle with maple syrup or honey (optional) on top.
3 Important Health Benefits of Blueberries:
- High Anti-Oxidant –essential in optimizing health and help combat free radicals that damages our body's cellular structures.
- Memory Booster – it benefits our nervous systems and our brains. Blueberries help protect the brain by clearing toxic proteins that accumulate there.
- Low Calorie & Regulates blood sugar – it is low in terms of Glycemic Index (GI).
N.B. Maximize the benefits of blueberries. Go organic!
Where in the world?
The United States is the world’s largest producer of blueberries, harvesting a total of 564.4 million pounds of cultivated and wild blueberries in 2012. - Source: agmrc.org
~Michigan is the leading producer of cultivated blueberries~
Rinse under cold tap water and drain on a collander. Blueberries are best serve on room temperature.
For more health benefits, see video below...
More from my kitchen:
- Royal Dessert - Spotted Dick Anyone?
Spotted Dick is a famous British dessert made of eggs, butter, sugar, vanilla, flour, milk and currant or raisins. Rich in calories. Made in heaven. It's perfect with any kind of tea.
- No-bake, Low-fat Strawberry Cheesecake
Did you know? Strawberry lovers are noted to be health conscious, fun loving, intelligent and happy people, whereas, those who dislike strawberry are described as boring, weird, stuffy, picky, fussy eaters who avoid healthy foods. And, this recipe is
Share the goodness. Spread some joy!
Copyright@CrisSp~TM/08-2014. "Fearless but not Heartless." ~
© 2014 CrisSp