Healthy Oatmeal Cookies
Delicious and Versatile
A delicious Oatmeal cookie that has just a hint of orange flavor from an orange flavored olive oil.
Because this recipe does not call for eggs, it is equally delicious when made vegan by substituting the butter with a dairy-free margarine. You can also substitute the almonds for 1 cup of chocolate chips (can be non-dairy), dried cranberries or raisins. If you don't have a flavored olive oil on hand, you can replace it with a tablespoon of butter or non-flavored olive oil.
- 3/4 cup Butter (or Non-Dairy Margarine for Vegan)
- 1 tablespoon Orange Flavored Olive Oil
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 4 tablespoons Water
- 2 tablespoons Ground Flax Seed
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3 cups Oats
- 1/2 cup Toasted Almond Slivers
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ground flax seed and water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Cream (beat well with a hand or Kitchen Aid mixer) the butter, olive oil, and both types of sugar in a large bowl.
- Stir in the flax seed mixture and the vanilla. Beat until well blended,
- Slowly stir in the sifted flour mixture and mix until well blended.
- Stir in the oats, then the almonds.
- Make small round balls (about 1 inch in diameter - smaller to yield more cookies) and place them on a baking sheet.
- Bake 8 - 10 minutes.