- Food and Cooking
Old-Fashioned Banana Cake
About the Recipe
This recipe comes from my maternal grandfather, an excellent cook who was at home in the kitchen. I reordered the ingredients based on order of use.
According to a handwritten note, this recipe is dated 20 April 1966.
- 1 1/4 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon iodized salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup shortening, Crisco recommended
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 medium bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans. Set aside.
- Mix baking soda, salt, and flour in a medium bowl. Sift.
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla; beat until well combined.
- Add flour mixture and milk mixture alternately, starting and ending with flour mixture. Mix well after each addition.
- Fold in mashed bananas. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- While cake is cooling, sprinkle walnuts on top. Allow cake to cool before cutting.