Pasta Salad With Pastrami, Mushrooms and Cucumbers
A Great Pasta Salad
Most pasta salads are made for side dishes. But, this one can also be used as a main dish. Especially for a lunch when company is coming. All you have to do is add a nice loaf of French baguette or what ever your favorite bread is.
I made it as a side dish for my family dinner last Saturday. As I mentioned in my profile I make a recipe every week and have my family rate it. I collect recipes from wherever I can get them. Many years ago that was mostly from magazines and newspapers, but now with the internet, they are numberless. I still like collecting them and actually making them.
This one was from a cookbook called The New Pasta Cookbook which I bought over 20 years ago. The recipe in the book called for a different type of pasta then the one I used and I cut out an ingredient that I knew we would not like.
That's one of the good things about recipes, you can make it your own.
The important thing about this recipe is the ingredients must be fresh in order to look good and taste it's best. It sounded a little different then the pasta salad I'm used to, which is why I wanted to make it. It turned out very good. I hope you like it.
Photos of Pasta Salad With Pastrami, Mushrooms and Cucumber
Pastrami is made from the loin cut of beef, therefore low in fat, so don't be afraid to use it.
When using pasta in a salad, it's important to rinse the cooked pasta with cold water and drain it well. It is has to stand for a while, stir a little oil in it to keep the pasta from sticking.
You can use what ever pasta you like in this recipe.
- 1/2 lb. Trio Italiano Pasta
- 1/3 lb. Pastrami, cut in strips
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut in wedges-----------, 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced or cut in chunks
- 3/4 cup fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Flat leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- Ingredients for the Dressing ------------
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijoh-style mustard
- To taste salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic,, crushed
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water until done, drain and rinse under cold water, then drain again before transferring to a salad bowl.
- To the salad bowl add pastrami, celery, tomato wedges, cucumber and mushrooms.
- To Prepare Dressing: Combine dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well to blend.
- Toss the dressing through the salad and refrigerate, covered, for several hours.
- Adjust seasoning and sprinkle with fresh parsley before serving.