- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients»
- Fruit Ingredients
About Peach Butter
In the fall, and winter I love apple butter, it embodies everything I love about the season. But in the spring when apples are no longer in season like most people I stop making it, and my supple starts to run low. One year a I wen to the farmers market, and someone had peaches by the dozen for a dollar. I make this wonderful peach jam so I bought several of them, and went home and made some jam, but after was stocked with all the jam my family needed, I went online and started looking for new recipes, and I fount one for Peach Butter, so I tried it. It turned out to be amazing, and just like apple butter I fell in love with it. Since then I have changed the recipe up a bit adding some spices and what not, but it still one of mine and my family's favorite spreads for summer. I hope you enjoy as much as we do, and please feel free to comment or ask questions.
Basket of Peaches
What Do You Like Most?
What Type Of Spread Do You Like Most?
How Long It Takes
What You Need
- 15 pounds peaches, (pitted and quartered)
- 1 c water
- 2 c sugar
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp Cloves
- 1 tsp vanilla
How You Do It
- Pick sweet, ripe, mature fruit. The peaches should not be mushy, but they also should not be rock hard. Pick them just as ripe, and juicy as you would eat them fresh.
- Wash the peaches in cold water
- To peel Dip each peach into a pot of boiling water for 30 seconds, and then into a bowl of cold water for a minute. The peels should come right off.
- Halve the peaches and remove the pits, then cut each half into quarters
- Run the cut up peaches through your food processor until they are pureed nice and smooth. If you want your butter a but more chunky skip this step. I like mine very smooth.
- Add your peaches and water in to large pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure they cook evenly.
- add the sugar, spices, vanilla, and lemon juice and bring the mixture to a simmer, for 30 stirring occasionally as the peach butter thickens up the peaches has a risk scorching on the bottom of the pot. So keep a watchful eye on it.
- The peach butter is done when a spoon leaves a clear trail when scraped across the bottom.
- Let cool if not canning. If canning Fallow Instructions below.
My Favorite Canning Cookbooks
This has Really good new recipe, that grandma did not make. I love how easy the recipes are . With a step by step guide to canning this is best cookbook for new home canners. Make sure to try to the strawberry and lavender jam it is to die for.
They call this book the " bible" of home canning, and i got to agree. This cookbooks has it all. I love the recipe for Apricot Date Chutney.
Canning The Amish Way is a grate classic recipe book to have on hand. You will find a lot of old time trusted recipes, and grate tips in it. I use this book all the time.
This book has tons of tips and wonderful recipes in it. It is a must have for new home canners, as it has a full list of tools, what they are and how to use them, along with a guide and tips to the basics.
Canning Peach Butter
How To Can Your Peach Butter
What You Need
Large spoons and ladles
How You Do It
(1) sterilize your jars, by boiling them in a large, pot of water which should cover the jars completely for 10 minutes. Put the lids into a pan of hot, but not quite boiling water for 5 minutes
(2) Fill the jars to ¼-inch from the top, wipe any spilled peach butter off the top, seat the lid and tighten the ring around them. Put the jars in your canner and keep them cover with at least 1 inch of water and boiling. Boil pint jars for 15 minutes and quart jars for 20 min.
(3) Lift the jars out of the water and let them cool without touching or bumping them. This will take overnight.
(4) Once the jars are cool, you can check that they are sealed by verifying that the lid has been sucked down. Just press in the center, with your finger. If it pops up and down it is not sealed, and well not keep.
Tip- After a jar of peach butter is gone toss the lid, do not reuse the lids, but you can recan the jars.
How To Can Fruit At Home. If you never canned before please watch this video
Items You Need For Canning
I love ball jars and these are my favorite.
This Kit has everything you need for this recipe and others like it,
This is a good water bath canner
I love this Pressure canner.
this lifter is good to keep on hand to get lids out of the how water.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Meyer Lemon Pound Cake
A recipe for a super moist Pound cake made from Mayer Lemons. With a lemon aid recipe
- Honey Garlic Chicken Recipe
A quick and easy chicken recipe that is sweet, and tender. That the family and friends will lover
- Fresh Pineapple Chicken
Chicken made with fresh pineapple, ginger and orange. A family favorite. With a recipe for steamed rice.