- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Penne Pasta and Spinach Vegetable Soup
Here is a quick recipe for a vegetable and pasta soup with spinach, tomatoes, celery and carrots. While Penne pasta is called for, substitute macaroni or another favorite pasta if desired.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 2/3 cup yellow onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes, canned
- 1 quart chicken broth, defatted
- 5 ounces Penne pasta, uncooked
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot that has a lid.
- Add in the celery, carrots, onions. Cook over medium high heat for about 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add in the garlic and stir until fragrant, about a minute. Stir in the tomatoes and chicken broth. Add in the pasta, spinach, basil and ground ginger. Bring to a soft boil.
- Reduce heat and cover with the lid. Simmer until the pasta is done, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with rolls, if desired.