- Food and Cooking
Pot Holders: Make Them, Collect Them and Use Them
I bought myself pot holders from the department store. I loved the colours, that's why I picked them. But, the colours faded after a couple of washings. Disappointing. It would be smarter to just make my own I decided.
I liked the pot holders made with upcycled/ repurposed jeans. Doubled over, they would be nice and thick for picking up hot pots and pans. But, I still think they need a layer in between for keeping out more heat, plus, keeping them dry rather than letting water soak through. If you have ever picked up a hot pan with a wet pot holder you will know why a pot holder must be dry. Fully dry, not even just a bit damp. I feel pain just remembering.
So, when you are making pot holders, be aware of the wet/ dry issue. Consider fabrics or yarn which keeps dry and does not melt in contact with heat. A safer thing would be to have a middle fabric in your pot holder which would prevent both sides getting wet at all.
Of course, you don't want a pot holder made of anything too thin. Another element with crochet or knit pot holders are having gaps in the pattern which you could poke a finger through while picking up a hot pan. If you use a lacey knit or crochet pattern give the pot holder a backing which will keep your hands safe from burns.
Another nice thing about pot holders is how washable they are. It's pretty easy for them to get something slopped on them. My pot holders double as a something I can always sit the hot pan on once I pull it out of the oven. If I don't get something on them from the pan while taking it out of the oven, by the time dinner is done someone else will have dripped and dribbled something on them while serving themselves. This is why I stopped using anything not easily washable as a pot rest (do they have a real name of their own?).
Travel Trailer Pot Holders for Sale
Pot Holder Designs and Ideas
- How many pot holders is too many? | Crochet with Raymond
- Potholders | AllFreeKnitting.com
- The Creative Place: Handmade Christmas: DIY Potholders
- Making Simple Pot Holders | Fiber Fantasies
- Flickr: Crocheted Potholders & Hot Pads
- Flickr: Potholder Pass
- Sew your own potholders!
- Create Your Own Pot Holders | Pages From Home
- Potholders - To Make
- plus3 crochet: birthday potholders
- Pot Holder from Old Jeans
- Ravelry: Oven Mitt and Potholders pattern by Pierrot (Gosyo Co., Ltd)
- DIY Potholders | Pinterest
- Free Directions to Sew a Durable, Simple, Useful Pot Holder - Great Beginner Project
- 20+ Pot Holders To Make : TipNut.com
- HowStuffWorks | How to Make Pot Holders