- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Potato and Bacon Soup with Tri-Color Farfalle and Other Veggies
It is great to have soup as part of your daily food consumption. Not only does the soup fill you up but it is good for you too.
If you love soup try this creative and colorful soup recipe that will liven up your dinner table any day of the week - Potato and Bacon Soup with Tri-Color Farfalle and Other Veggies. The recipe instructions are easy to follow and there are recipe pictures here as well for your convenience. The soup does take some time to prepare and cook but it is worth every minute because it is heavenly in my opinion.
Even if you are not a fan of soup do give this one a try. You will not want to put the spoon down. You might even ask for second helpings.
I'd say this soup makes for about four to six servings but it really depends on how much soup you plan to consume in one sitting. The smaller the bowl the higher the total servings amount.
- 4 Yellow Potatoes, (about a pound)
- 1 Medium-sized Carrot
- 1 Stalk Celery
- 1 Large Onion
- 4 Strips Apple Smoked Bacon
- 3/4 Cup Tri-Color Farfalle (Pasta)
- 1/4 Cube Butter
- 2.5 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2.5 Cups Organic Milk
- 5/8 Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Pesto Sauce
- Dried Parsley
- Parmesan Cheese
- Take four long strips of apple smoked bacon and vertically cut into thin strips. Fry for about 6 minutes in a skillet with a little bit of cooking oil. When done remove onto a plate. Do not add too much cooking oil because the bacon will give off its own juices and fat. Instead of bacon you can use fried pork bellies as well but those take longer to fry. And if you do not eat pork you can use turkey bacon instead.
- Wash and peel four yellow potatoes (about a pound) and cut into medium-sized cubes. Add to a large pot.
- Wash and peel a large onion and cut into cubes. Cook in the same skillet where you cooked the bacon until the onion is slightly golden brown. Do not add any cooking oil to the skillet as the skillet has the fat from the bacon in it. When done cooking add to the pot with the potatoes.
- Wash and peel a medium-sized carrot and cut into circles. Then cut each circle in half and in half again. Wash a stalk of celery and cut into small pieces. Cook both the celery and the carrots for a few minutes (adding cooking oil if no fat from the bacon is left on the skillet) and then add to the pot with the potatoes along with any leftover oil from the skillet. Add a little bit of salt and stir. Cook for about 12 minutes.
- Add 2.5 cups of chicken stock and 2.5 cups of organic milk to the pot and bring to a boil. Then simmer for about 10 minutes. Once the time is up add the tri-color farfalle (pasta) and simmer for about 14 minutes.
- Add 5/8 cup heavy cream and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add two tablespoons of pesto and sprinkle with dried parsley and stir. Garnish with grated parmesan cheese when serving.
The potato and bacon soup with tri-color farfalle and other veggies is very filling so there really is no need for bread. But, if you prefer to have bread with your soup you can toast some freshly white bread in a toaster (or keep it as it is) and lightly spread some butter on it. You can even add some minced garlic to the bread if you want. White bread goes best with this soup but if you prefer to eat rye bread or whole wheat bread, etc. go right ahead.
If you prefer to add your own spices to the soup feel free to do so but don't put a lot at once as that might jeopardize the taste of the soup. If you do want to add other spices to the soup I recommend dried basil.
Off to enjoy a large bowl of this soup that I just made. Happy eating everyone! :)