- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes»
- Quick & Easy Dinners
Quick Ham and Pasta
What Do You Think of Quick Ham and Pasta?
Quick Ham and Pasta
I found this recipe online years ago and I have tweaked it over the years to make it even better for my family. My kids and husband love that it's flavorful and simple and contains vegetables that they enjoy. I love that it's easy to make and I can throw it together quickly on a weeknight without too much time spent in preparation.
Sometimes, if I don't have the ingredients for this on hand, I swap out the meat for other varieties. I have also often swapped the vegetables for whatever I might have on hand. I've made many different varieties of this dish, but this version is by far my favorite. You can experiment with this dish and come up with the combination of ingredients you like best. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as we do.
Quick Ham and Pasta
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups ham, diced
- 1 cup baby peas
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 dash cayenne ppeper
- 6 ounces rotini
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon butter
How to Make Quick Ham and Pasta
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet or stir fry pan. Add the ham to the pan and heat through, then add the peas, broth, cayenne pepper and garlic. Cook about two minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and add to the ham mixture. Stir in the cheese and butter and cook, stirring frequently, for about three minutes. Season with salt and additional Parmesan cheese and serve.
Tips for Making This Dish Super Fast
If you're in a hurry, you can get this dish ready even more quickly by following the tips below.
- Get all of your pots and pans ready ahead of time. For this recipe, you'll need a pot to boil your pasta, a large skillet or stir fry pan, a spoon, and a colander. Getting these things together before you start can save you some time while you're making the dish.
- Measure out your ingredients before you start. I like to measure out everything for this dish before I start making it so I can throw everything together very quickly.
- While the dish is cooking, you can start some dishes or put them in the dishwasher, which will save you more time later.
- If you're really pressed for time, you can make this meal ahead of time and either put it in the refrigerator or freezer. This is one of those meals that tastes even better after it sits because it flavors through a bit more.
Nutrition for Quick Ham and Pasta
|Serving size: 1/6 of recipe|
|Calories from Fat||153|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 17 g||26%|
|Carbohydrates 24 g||8%|
|Sugar 3 g|
|Protein 23 g||46%|
|Sodium 1016 mg||42%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Start this recipe off by heating the olive oil in a skillet. I like to use my stir fry pan because there's plenty of room. You just need to heat the ham through for a few minutes.
While you're cooking the ham, cook the pasta according to the package directions. You can really use any kind of pasta that you want, but I like to use rotini, because I like the way the noodles trap the sauce in their spirals.
Once you've heated the ham through, stir in the broth, peas, garlic and cayenne pepper. Cook for another couple of minutes.
Next, stir in the pasta, cheese and butter and simmer everything together for another three minutes. You can season this dish with some additional salt and Parmesan cheese.
How You Can Customize this Recipe
If you want to change this recipe to really make it your own, it's easy to do. In fact, I adapted this recipe from another one I found online years ago. Here are some ideas you can use to add your own personal taste to this recipe.
- Use different vegetables or other ingredients. You can add in other ingredients like onions, carrots, mushrooms or stir fry vegetables depending on your own personal taste. Simply add them when you add in the broth.
- Stir in some dairy. Add a little bit of half and half or milk to give this recipe a creamier sauce.
- Top the dish with something special. You can finish off this dish with some freshly grated cheese in other varieties or you can sprinkle on some hot sauce. You can even add a little soy sauce or balsamic vinegar if you'd like.
- Change the meat. You don't have to use ham, you can use any kind of meat you like with this recipe. Try options like chicken or steak. You can also use seafood like shrimp or scallops. If you're not into meat or seafood, you can even try ingredients like tofu.