Quick and Easy Fried Rice
Real Food - Really Fast
With a few staple ingredients in your pantry and some pre-prepared items, you can come up with meals in minutes! I am a proponent of cooking ahead and an advocate for leftovers. Yes, as a household of 2, we often repeat meals during the week. Many recipes make 4-6 servings, so we may eat the same thing for Monday dinner and Tuesday lunch.
But I am talking about making extra to incorporate into new meals. Having precooked grains or meats is one of the ways to get real food - really fast. One of my favorite precooked ingredients is rice which can be added to ground beef and enchilada sauce or a can of tomatoes with a little chili seasoning for delicious Spanish Rice, or better yet, as the main component of Fried Rice.
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, scrambled
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 /4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup carrot, optional
- 1 cup any other vegetable:, ie peas, spinach, cabbage (optional)
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 oz cooked chicken, ham, beef, optional
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, low sodium
- Whisk eggs together in a bowl with 1 Tbsp water.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil on medium heat in small saute pan and add eggs. Cook, stirring until eggs are dry and crumbled.
- Heat the remaining oil on high heat in a large saute pan. Add onions and celery and cook, stirring about 2-3 minutes until slightly tender.
- Add an additional 1 - 1 1/2 cups of vegetables. Stir to mix, turn the heat down to medium and cook another 3-5 minutes. Continue to stir so the vegetables do not scorch.
- Add rice, cooked egg and meat and continue cooking until heated through.
- Pour soy sauce over the rice mixture and stir to coat all ingredients. Serve hot.