Rainbow Food Ideas for Easter or a Kid's Party
Teach Kids About Rainbows While They Help Make Rainbow Food
Rainbows are fascinating to children and serving rainbow food can be a good opportunity to teach kids how rainbows are formed. Let your kids help in making some of the rainbow food ideas in this article while you tell them some rainbows facts.
Here are some fun ways to teach them about these colorful creations while in the kitchen:
- Let them add the drops of food coloring into each bowl while explaining that rain droplets are an important part of how a rainbow is made.
- Let them take a toothpick and swirl the colors if you are making a cake with rainbow swirls. Explain to them how the sunlight separates the colors.
- Let them pour sprinkles on top of the icing for double the rainbow effect while you discuss with them about double rainbows and how they are formed.
Add More Color to Your Party with a Rainbow
What child doesn't like rainbows? I remember getting excited whenever I spotted a rainbow, no matter how big or small. It could be just a tiny one in a corner of our driveway after washing a car or one that filled the sky and could be seen from a far distance while we drove down the highway. Either way, I remember always searching for one after the rain cleared. It was also fun to think about what was at the end of the rainbow!
When kids see a rainbow, whether it be in the sky, a book or on a cupcake, it can spark a smile on their face. Parties are a place where you want to keep kids smiling, happy and actually wanting to eat the food!
So, why not add a swirl or a sprinkle of rainbows into the food for your next gathering with children? See the fun ideas below!
Rainbow Cupcakes for a Kids' PartyClick thumbnail to view full-size
Recipe for Buttercream Icing
You can buy ready-made decorating icing or make your own buttercream icing.
You Will Need:
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/2 cup of vegetable shortening
- 4 cups of powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk or water, adding more if icing is too thick
- Vanilla extract for flavor
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, mix butter, vegetable shortening, water or milk and vanilla extract.
- Stir in powdered sugar and salt until well-combined. It is easier to mix the icing using an electric mixer. Add in more milk or water, if necessary.
- Separate icing into separate bowls and drop in a different color of food gel into each bowl. Start with one drop at a time and stir well until you achieve the desired color.
- Put a different colored icing one at a time in piping bag. Squeeze out icing in a circular motion on top of cupcake.
Keep reading below for a white cupcake rainbow recipe.
Rainbow Easter Cupcakes
Marshmallows for Rainbows
Marshmallows are a favorite treat for kids. You can use marshmallows as clouds for your rainbow food. You can also sprinkle rainbow-colored sprinkles onto marshmallows for quick, colorful marshmallow pops. Try sprinkling one color of each sprinkle color onto marshmallows and color coordinate them into the rainbow spectrum.
Use Egg Cartons to Hold Mini CupcakesClick thumbnail to view full-size
Ingredients for Rainbow Cupcakes
- 1 box White cake mix
- 3 or more colors of food coloring, preferably gel so it is easier to drop it in
- Buttercream decorating Icing
- Sprinkles, candy, etc., optional
How to Make Rainbow Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheet with cupcake liners. (Use white liners so you can see the rainbow of different colors when done baking).
- Follow directions on box. When done mixing all ingredients, separate batter into individual bowls. The amount of bowls you will need depends on however many colors you are using.
- Use a different food coloring in each bowl. If you want lighter, pastel colors, be careful not to put too much food coloring in each bowl. One drop of each using colors like red and blue were enough to make light pink and light blue. For colors like yellow, you may need to put more. Start with one drop at a time and mix well before adding in more drops.
- You can use a piping bag or a large gallon zip up bag to pour colors into cupcake liners. Using a bag will make the colors line up better, one on top of the other, or you can just take a small spoon to spoon in colors for an uneven, swirl effect.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. While cupcakes are baking, make icing. Keep reading below for rainbow icing. When cupcakes are completely cooled, apply icing.
You Don't Have to Cover the Rainbow with IcingClick thumbnail to view full-size
Separate Batter to Make Rainbow ColorsClick thumbnail to view full-size
How to Make Rainbow IcingClick thumbnail to view full-size
How to Make Rainbow Pasta
Creative Ways to Make Rainbow Colors
There are multiple ways to eat the rainbow. In the video here, it shows a simple way to create rainbow pasta, a fun way for your kids to enjoy eating spaghetti for dinner or for you to serve at a party.
You do not always have to use food coloring to make rainbow food, however. Just get creative using:
- Jello powder
Get Creative with Mini Rainbow CupcakesClick thumbnail to view full-size
Ideas for More Rainbow Food
Put them on bamboo skewers
Put different colored vegetables in small cups or containers with dipping sauce at the bottom
Line up different colored drinks (lemonade, orange juice, fruit punch) for guests to choose their own beverage
Form a rainbow on a serving platter
Form a rainbow on a serving platter
Rainbow spaghetti noodles
Make a punch with different colored fruit floating
Color coordinate rainbow colors in individual jars to serve
Make a salad using a variety of colored vegetables
Rainbow fruit snacks
Rainbow snow cone
Rainbow Cake in a Jar and Rainbow Angel Food CakeClick thumbnail to view full-size
Rainbow MilkshakesClick thumbnail to view full-size
More Party Ideas for Rainbow FoodClick thumbnail to view full-size
Pick Up These Piping Bags for Easier Baking
Make Rainbow Pasta from Squash Noodles
I recently discovered a pasta noodle substitute using the vegetable, squash. It is a healthy substitute and the different colors that squash come in can make a rainbow on your plate as long as you use a variety of squash. Here is a link to my blog post if you are interested in how to make this simple squash noodles recipe:
Somewhere Over the Rainbow
I think rainbows are one of the most beautiful things that exist. They are a gift and seeing one is always a pleasure. Brighten up your next party or someone's day by making them a rainbow treat. Somewhere over that rainbow, whether it be rainbow spaghetti or rainbow cupcakes... there is sure to be a happy face!
More Recipe and Party Ideas:
- Easy Frugal Ideas for a Kid's Birthday Party
Hosting parties are a fast way to spend a lot of money. Here are tips and ideas to throw a thrifty but fun party for the kids on their birthday.
- Easy Two Ingredient Pineapple Angel Food Cake
Two ingredients make this recipe easy and delicious for a light dessert! Have kids help and serve at a party or for a quick treat at home.
- Easy Two Ingredient Flourless Pancakes and Waffles
Try these flourless pancakes and waffles using only two ingredients: bananas and eggs! Perfect for an easy, fast and healthy breakfast or even for brunch or dinner, too!