Best Bread And Roll Recipes: How To Make Potato Bread And Potato Rolls At The Same Time
Potato Rolls and Potato Bread Make Both At Once
- 1 cup mashed cooked peeled baking potatoes (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4-1/2 cups bread flour - DIVIDED
- 2-1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 large eggs OR 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Cooking spray
- Mix potatoes, milk, honey, and butter in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH for 2 minutes or until mixture is 110 degrees. Or heat on stove top and use a thermometer to get to 110 degrees.
- Stir with whisk until smooth.
- Spoon flour into measuring cup – measure 1-1/2 cups flour. Combine with yeast and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add potato mixture to flour mixture, stirring until combined.
- Add eggs or egg substitute and stir until combined.
- Add 2 cups flour to potato mixture, stir until soft dough forms.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface – knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); or put into standing mixer with dough attachment or food processor with dough paddle and knead that way for 10 minutes.
- Add enough of remaining 1/2 cup of flour 1 tablespoon at a time to prevent dough from sticking to hands (or work bowl) – dough will feel sticky still.
- Place dough in large bowl coated with olive oil (or cooking spray), turning to coat the top.
- Cover and let rise in warm place (85 degrees) free from drafts for 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Press 2 fingers into dough – if indentation remains, dough has risen enough).
- Punch dough down, cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. Work with 1 portion at a time (cover remaining dough to prevent drying).
How To Prepare Loaf Of Bread And Rolls
Potato Bread Loaf
- Roll 1 portion of the dough into a 14 x 7 inch rectangle on a floured surface.
- Roll up the rectangle tightly starting with short edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets. Pinch seam and ends to seal.
- Place loaf seam side down in an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- Shape remaining portion into 9 portions and shape each into a ball.
- Place the balls in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Coat top of loaf and rolls with cooking spray – lightly spray.
Baking Directions For Both Loaf and Rolls
- Cover and let rise in warm place (85 degrees) free from drafts for 30 minutes or until doubled in size. (Press 2 fingers into dough – if indentation remains, dough has risen enough)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until tops of rolls are browned and load sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Remove from pans – cool on wire racks.
18 servings (serving size = 1 roll or 1/9 of a loaf) – Calories 168.
Buy These Tools At Amazon
How To Make Dinner Rolls
How To Shape The Loaf
More Links And Things That Go Well With Potato Bread And Rolls
- How To Cook A Holiday Ham
Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year's we always have ham for one of the three holidays. It makes a nice change from poultry and beef. There is always a lot left over for making bean or pea soups and...
- Fall Classic - Crockpot Beef Stew
At this time of year, soups and stews are a must for me because I love the ability to add so many good-for-you vegetables and enjoy the delicate aromas that slow-cooking lend the house. Nothing feels better...
- Kate's Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes
Ingredients 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature 1/2 bunch fresh sage, leaves finely chopped Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper 2 large onions, finely chopped 1 loaf...
- Tender Roast Beef
When I really want to pamper guests who love good food, I use a good roast beef ribs tasty, tender and juicy enough. For meals every day, I turn instead to more affordable roasts such as round or sirloin tip....
- How to Make Homemade Noodles
Homemade noodles are so good: soft, tasty, and satisfying. Fresh pasta offers a completely different texture and taste experience. Learning the art of pasta making means adding a little something different to the menu.
- Perfect Homemade Bread 10 Tips to Improve Homema...
We all know that using whole grain in our diet is really good for us, right? I used to think that eating whole grains and all that healthy food was comparable to eating cardboard. Well, I've come up with some...
- How to make bread
It's one of the things we often end up eating every day. Conveniently, bread is also rather simple to make. There is such a variety of different breads in the world that it is exciting to think about all the options open to you that you can create ri