- Food and Cooking»
- Dietary Restrictions»
- Dietary Restrictions for Health
Recipe: Gluten-Free Crêpes with Rice Flour
Rate This Recipe!
Before You Start
Difficulty Rating: Medium
- Liquid measuring cup and whisk or fork
- Non-stick pan and soft spatula
I personally prefer using glutinous rice flour because it gives a nicer texture and consistency. It's called "glutinous" due to its stickiness, but is absolutely celiac-friendly.
You can use 1/2 cup of cornstarch instead of the rice flour and 3/4 cup of milk instead of a full cup.
1 cup rice flour
¼ tsp salt
1 cup milk
1 tbsp oil
Butter to melt in pan for flavour
You will need to re-mix batter between each pouring otherwise it will settle.
Your Child(ren)’s Participation
- Help make the batter;
- Stir the batter before each pour;
- Select the filling(s);
- Fill the crêpe & roll.
For information on kitchen safety when cooking with children, read Setting Kitchen Rules.
- Combine ingredients in liquid measuring cup and mix well.
- Heat pan to medium temperature.
- Melt butter in the pan, using just enough to coat it. Be careful not to scorch the butter.
- Pour batter from liquid measuring cup into middle of hot pan and give a swirl to spread it evenly.
- When the air bubbles have popped and the edges of crêpe start to curl up, carefully flip crêpe over.
- Let it cook for another minute and remove from pan.
- On a plate, fill half of the crêpe with your choice of goodies (See suggestions below).
- Roll crêpe from filling side and enjoy!
These crêpes are a wonderful gluten-free substitute for bread, flat-bread or pitas. Use them to make healthy wraps with your favourite ingredients.
- Hazelnut Spread (ie. Nutella) and Strawberries
- Caramel or Cinnamon Spread
- Peanut Butter and Maple Syrup
- Peanut Butter and Jam
- Chicken, Lettuce and Tomato
- Bacon and Shredded Cheddar
- Cream cheese
- Spinach, Black Olives and Feta Cheese
This series was created to help parents bond with their kids while teaching them valuable skills. It includes tips, ideas and recipes.
Learn more about how you can participate in The Kids Cook Monday campaign!
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy
© 2011 Rosa Marchisella