Yummy Easy Veggie Salad, Crunchy, Filling and Healthy!
I love this recipe. It is so healthy. Brown rice is different from white rice in that only the outer husk is removed in brown rice leaving the healthy bran and endosperm with lots of B vitamins and magnesium. One cup of brown rice contains 84mg of magnesium while white rice contains only 14mg. By not removing the bran layer rice bran oil is left on the rice which is thought to lower LDL Cholesterol.
Even with the enriched vitamins added to polished white rice you still do not get the magnesium, fiber and LDL lowering benefits back
Rice is best stored in the freezer as it controls infestations of Indian Meal Moths.
Orzo is a form of short cut macaroni. It is Italian for "Barley".
Not only is the rice and orzo healthy but the vegetables, cheese and herbs I like to add make this a complete meal if desired.
How to Prepare
- 1 cup Rice and Orzo, I like Sprouted Rice and quinoa Blend
- 1/2 to 1 cup Cut up Carrots, Washed and Peeled
- 13/4 cup Water or Chicken Broth
- 1/2 tsp. Sea or kosher Salt
- 1 to 2 large Zucchini Squash, Wash and scrubbed well
- 1 cup Baby swiss or Jarlesburg Cheese, Cut into 1/2 in pieces
- 3/4 cup Garlic Vinaigrette Dressing, You can use your own favorite dressing
- 1/4 Red and Yellow Bell Pepper, Washed, scrubbed and cut into 1/4 in pieces
- 1/2 cup Slivered Almonds or roasted pine nuts, I like to roast my pine nuts under the broiler on a cookie sheet, turning often till brown.
- Fresh Cracked Pepper to taste
- garlic and other spices you prefer., Fresh garlic cloves are awesome.
- 2 Tbls fresh Basil and/or chives, chopped well
- 1/2 to 1 cup of any fresh vegetable you like
Putting it All Together
- Bring water with salt or chicken stock to rolling boil. Add rice and orzo and stir well. Lower heat, cover and continue cooking for about 20 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed. I like to use the chicken broth when available for extra flavor and nutritional value. Cool cooked rice and orzo on a cookie sheet mixing with about 1 tsp. of olive oil. Spread the rice and orzo evenly across the cookie sheet.
- While the rice is cooling prepare all of your vegetables. I like to add any fresh herbs like basil and chives that I might have growing in the garden.
- You can really add any of your favorite fresh vegetables. I have used broccoli, sweet peppers, garlic cloves, carrots, zucchini squash, yellow squash, etc. Just use your imagination
- Once you have combined your vegetables, rice, cubed cheese, chopped herbs and your favorite seasoning. I like garlic salt, pepper, and/or dill. You are now ready to pour your salad dressing on. I use about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of Aldi's oil free garlic vinaigrette dressing but any favorite salad dressing or marinade you like would be work well.
- Refrigerate for several hours before serving and just before you are ready to serve sprinkle with slivered almonds. Use as many as you like. Toasted pine nuts would be great also.
|Serving size: 8 servings/nutritional value per serving|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Carbohydrates 50 g||17%|
|Sugar 5 g|
|Fiber 25 g||100%|
|Protein 20 g||40%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Nutritional Value Addendum
The nutritional value is dependent on the salad dressing that you use. Follow the nutritional value on the side of your dressing and alter your numbers accordingly.
Quick oil and vinegar Dressing
If you are out of a garlic salad dressing you can easily make your own. Just add 1 cup extra virgin olive oil to 1/3 cup balsamic, rice or raspberry vinegar, add grated or chopped garlic, shallots, 5 tsp honey, herbs to taste, kosher salt and pepper
Ways to Serve
This salad lasts a long time in the fridge. It is great serve on spinach leaves with cold grilled or baked salmon and fresh fruit. Enjoy it for an easy summer meal.
Great Dishes and Beverages for Summer
- The Best Southern Ice Tea
How to make Great Southern Ice Tea!!
- 12 Easy and fantastic Summer recipes for the grill
Virtually every summer night my family and I only cook our meals over the grill. Mostly we use a propane Barbecue, sometimes a coal fire and sometimes we cook right over an open fire. Many recipes we use are...
- More Delicious Summer Recipes - Easy Fresh Fruit Ju...
These summer fresh fruit coolers sound so refreshingly delicious that I can't resist sharing them. Not only are these juices and berries healthful and chock full of vitamins, especially Vitamin C, and anti-oxidants, they are, quite simply, delicious.
- Potato Salad Simple Summer Recipe Dish
Potato Salad Recipe. Easy Family summer side dish for burgers or BBQ. Serve cold. Simple recipe for potato salad. Video recipe.