Roasted Garbanzo Beans Recipe
If you are looking for a healthy snack with a big crunch, you may want to give roasted chickpeas a try.
Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are packed with nutrition. They are an excellent source of fiber. The fiber in garbanzo beans has been shown to lower LDL-cholesterol levels, as well as triglycerides and total cholesterol. Garbanzo beans are also a great source of protein, folate, and iron, among other nutrients. Garbanzo beans also contain antioxidants, help to decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease, and help regulate blood sugar.
After snacking on roasted chickpeas, you will feel satisfied because garbanzo beans are excellent at eliminating hunger!
Roasted Chickpeas Flavor Ideas
Try the following flavor combinations in place of garlic powder and paprika:
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon with a dash of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons of nutritional yeast
- A sprinkle of lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
Add salt, if desired. Mix and match flavors, based on your personal taste preference. Do not be shy - try other spice combinations as well! If you are not opposed to additional sugar and calories, add maple syrup or honey to create a sweeter version.
- 1 - 16 oz can garbanzo beans
- extra virgin olive oil spray
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon (or large pinch) paprika
- Heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drain and rinse garbanzo beans. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Spread beans onto a baking sheet. Lightly spray beans with olive oil. Sprinkle with spices and toss well to evenly coat, using a spatula. Spread into a single layer.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Chickpeas are done when they are crunchy. Be careful not to burn yourself when checking if they are done.
- Optional step: turn the oven off and leave chickpeas in the oven until it has cooled. This will create an even bigger crunch!
- Remove from oven. Allow to cool before eating or storing.
|Serving size: 1/4 of recipe|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Unsaturated fat 1 g|
|Carbohydrates 26 g||9%|
|Fiber 5 g||20%|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|Sodium 340 mg||14%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Ideas on How to Eat Roasted Chickpeas
- Enjoy as a healthy snack
- Say goodbye to croutons and add nutrition to your salads with roasted chickpeas
- Add roasted chickpeas to trail mix
- Crush roasted chickpeas and use as a breading