- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Chicken Breasts With Vegetables
Skillet Chicken Breasts - Easy Family Meal
Normally I cook with many different spices, however with this dish I didn't use any spices at all, and was surprised at how flavorful it turned out.
No time to cook with your busy schedule? This boneless chicken breast meal is easy to prepare, nutritious, and can be on the table in less than 35 minutes.
I find that cooking with an electric frying pan during the summer months is a good way to keep the heat down in the kitchen.
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 TBS. of vegetable or canola oil
- 1 796 mL or 28 fl oz. can of dices tomatoes
- 1/2 of a large red pepper, sliced in rounds
- 1/2 of a large yellow pepper, sliced in rounds
- 1/2 of an large orange pepper, sliced in rounds
- 1/2 of a large green pepper, sliced in rounds
- 1 large sweet onion (I used a Vidalia onion), sliced thick
- 4-6 garlic cloves, sliced thin or chopped
- 1/4 cup of black olives, sliced
Chicken was served over whole grain brown rice. I cooked this at the same time that I was preparing the chicken. This would be good with white rice as well.
- Rinse the chicken breasts under cold water and pat dry. If you have large chicken breast slice them through the center. This will allow them to cook faster. In a large skillet heat your cooking oil. Once heated add the chicken breasts to the pan. I used an electric skillet set at 360 degrees F.
- Brown the chicken on both sides. Chicken will turn from a pink color to a white color. While chicken is browning prepare your peppers, onion, and garlic.
- Add diced tomatoes on top of the chicken and let cook about 4-5 minutes. Add onions, garlic, and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add sliced peppers, cover, and let everything cook for 15 minutes or until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165 or until no longer pink in center. Stir in black olives right before serving to heat.
- When ready to serve lay a chicken breast on top of a bed of rice and spoon tomatoes and vegetables over the top. Serve and Enjoy!
- If you only have green peppers this dish would be fine with only the green. I would just increase the amount accordingly.
- I really like Vidalia onions from Georgia, USA, and this is what I used in this dish. Use any type of onions that you have on hand.
- No fresh garlic on hand? Either omit the garlic all together or sprinkle garlic powder on the chicken breasts while they are cooking. Jarred garlic is another option.
- Whole canned tomatoes can be used in place of the diced, or fresh tomatoes if you so choose.
- Add spices and other vegetables to the dish to suit your pallet.
- Serve with steamed vegetables and a side salad.
- Serve on top of pasta rather than rice.
- If your diet does not allow rice or pasta this chicken would still be good all on it own with the vegetables.
Sound Good? Please rate.
Finger Licking Good
What is your favorite way to eat chicken?
Thank you for visiting today. If you would like to read more hubs by Just Ask Susan, you can find them by visiting my profile page.