- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Beet and apple soup
A colorful and super healthy winter soup
Please take note that depending on where you live beet is called beetroot
100 grams onion
700 grams raw beets (1 1/2 pounds)
1 tbsp. olive oil
800 ml vegetable stock
2 firm apples (preferably sour tasting)
4 tbsp. lemon juice
Salt & pepper to taste
20 grams freshly grated horseradish or 1 tbsp. creamed horseradish or sour cream (optional)
4 tbsp. pumpkin seed oil or a handful of roasted pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Finely chop onion.
- Peel beet and cut into 1 cm (1/2 inch cubes). Use a glass cutting board or a plate as the red juice stains wooden boards. Also be careful that you don't spill any on your clothes.
- Sauté onion and beet in a tbsp. of olive oil (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add vegetable stock, cover the pot with a lid and simmer at low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Peel and core apples and cut into big chunks.
- Let soup cool down a bit and purée in food processor together with apple chunks and lemon juice.
- Pour back into pot and re-heat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into soup plates or bowls and garnish with grated horseradish and pumpkin seed oil (optional). Alternatively garnish with sour cream and roasted pumpkin seeds or anything else that looks pretty.
PS: This soup keeps well in the fridge for 1-2 days or in the freezer for approx. 6 months. I usually make a double portion and freeze the leftovers.
Other beet recipes by Novascotiamiss
- Raw pumpkin, beet and sauerkraut salad
The health benefits of pumpkin, beet and sauerkraut are amazing. Combined together this tasty salad is a vitamin bomb that will help you fight off the flue as well as the winter blues.