Recipe - Spiced Apple Crumble
This rich, flavoursome apple crumble is a family favourite. This is a great dish to make during the chilly autumn and winter months. It's best served hot with custard or cream.
- 6 large cooking apples, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 90g unsalted butter
- juice of 1 orange
- 6 tablespoons muscavado sugar
- 120g plain flour
- zest of 1/2 orange
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 50g light muscavado sugar
- handful of porridge oats, (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, saute apples in the dark muscavado sugar for about 10 minutes until the apples caramelised and soft.
- Stir in the cinnamon and orange juice and cook for another 2 minutes.
- For the crumble, whiz the butter with the flour and ginger in a food processor until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir the zest and light muscavado sugar into the crumble mixture. Spread the mixture evenly onto a baking tray and cook in oven for 10 minutes.
- Spoon the apples into an ovenproof dish and top with the crumble.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes until golden.
Things to note:
Cooking's not an exact science. Actually, it's not really any kind of science. This means you're allowed to experiment - I cannot stress this enough!
If there's something in the recipe you're allergic to, or you simply don't like, you can leave it out (if it's not a key ingredient), or just replace it with something else.
For example, this recipe suggests using butter for the crumble topping; if you'd prefer, you can easily replace this with margarine. I tend to find it doesn't mix so easily with the rest of the topping ingredients, but you may prefer the taste.
Also, for a crunchier topping, try adding porridge oats to the crumbling topping mixture (just add them after running the butter, flour, and ginger through the food processor). It'll be a slightly heavier dish, but some people prefer the texture when oats are added.
Thanks for reading!
I hope you found this hub useful, and that you enjoy the recipe. Let me know what you think and leave a comment.