Spicy Shrimp Fry-my first cooking venture
I have a very bad habit,whenever i start learning something,i try to go to the intermediate stage!here i didn't know how to cut an onion and i was trying to cook sea food.My husband was a bit glad,confused and scared when he heard that i want to cook prawn/shrimp.Glad because he just love shrimp..he can eat shrimp even if his tummy is full...confused because he didn't know that how will I cook it..scared because he knew that he was the scapegoat...he tried convincing me to start with omelet but i was adamant...and a few tears always help.
So shrimp was bought from Ranch,peeled and cleaned.As i went through various videos in You tube,i also bought the chili garlic paste from there and so my first adventure began.
Eventually when it was cooked,i proudly presented it to a scared hubby who didn't wanted to hurt his wife by saying that it was a OK dish..Okay here is the synonym for bad,disgusting,yucky!..now my husband Sandip is a smart man,he was 70%sure that i might have cooked something in the OK category since it was my first recipe and he couldn't blame me,so he even called my cousin who lived nearby to join the scapegoat community.
I still remember the look at their faces..they held the plate in their hand and kept on requesting the other person to eat first...and due to pressure from my side,Sandip had to eat first.I was staring at him like i was waiting for my results to come out.His expression changed from confused-scared-happy!Hurray!!!my first recipe was a big hit.he called my mom immediately(it was 6AM morning in India and told her proudly how well i cooked!).From that day to today shrimps are a hit at my home,whenever i feel lazy i cook Shrimps...its like making tea now...easy and guaranteed to be good.
So here is the recipe for the spicy prawn fry,you can eat it with bread or use it as a side dish/starter.
time 30-35 min
- prawn/shrimp(deshelled,deviened) 1lbs
- onion 1 medium chopped into small pieces (i learned cutting onions from video chat in Skype with mom)
- oil/butter 2 teaspoon
- chilli powder as per taste i use 1/4 tea spoon
- salt as per taste
- chili garlic paste 1/2-1 tea spoon(depends on how spicy you want it)
- egg 2
- coriander,curry leaves for garnishing
- yogurt 1 tsp
- water 1/3 cup
- add chilli powder,yogurt and 1/2 tsp salt to the shrimp,mix and keep aside for 10-15 min
- cut onions into small pieces,keep aside some for garnishing
- heat pan,put oil/butter
- let the butter melt
- put the onion in the pan,cook till they are slightly brown
- add the garlic paste,cook for 5 min
- add salt,cook for 2 min
- add the marinated shrimp,mix
- place lid on the utensil and lower the flame,cook for 10 min
- open lid,add water,stir the shrimps,let it cook for 7-8 min
- open lid and check if shrimps are cooked,check salt consistency,if yes then increase flame
- crack 2 eggs on the shrimps,before mixing add salt on the eggs,
- mix well now
- cook till the eggs are done
- garnish with onion,coriander,curry leaves
- you can add lemon juice as per your taste
- eat with rice or chappati
Shrimp fry and Chappati makes sandip happy and his happy face after eating it makes me happier.I made this recipe when we had our first party and no one believed that i had cooked it.Everyone thought that Sandip had cooked it and was just saving me by saying that i had cooked it,i had to cook in a friend's house in order to prove that they were wrong!!!
I usually prepare soup never whenever I am cooking shrimp fry. Sometimes I try the readymade soups where you just have to add water, it saves lots of time and still is very tasty. However sometimes ( if requested by my husband) I made home made soup. Being a meat lover, there are very few times when vegetarian soup is cooked at my place. Usually it's the chicken soup which I prepare I without using corn starch. Here is the recipe doer that, hopefully you enjoy it as much a as we do arhttp://dipsmi.hubpages.com/hub/Home-made-chicken-hot-and-sour-soup-without-corn-starch