- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Rate This Recipe
We love popcorn. It's a quick and tasty healthy snack. It's also surprisingly versatile with all the flavour toppings available on the market (or in your own kitchen!). There are also several methods of making popcorn, ranging from old fashioned kettle corn cooked in a big kettle over an open fire, to a quick bag of microwave popcorn and even the stovetop pre-prepared versions like Jiffy Pop.
Our favourite to make is the good old fashion stove-top method with a pot, corn kernels, butter and some salt. For a special treat, we also like to make a simple caramel sauce. I've included a link to the recipe below!
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-2 tsp salt, to taste
- Add butter and salt to large sauce pan (3-4 quarts) over medium heat. Heat until butter is liquid.
- Add popcorn kernels and cover.
- Increase heat to medium-high (7 on most stoves).
- Let pot and ingredients heat. Swirl the pot occasionally to make sure the kernels don't stick.
- When kernels begin to pop, shake the pot regularly to prevent sticking and burning.
- When the popping slows to one to two pops per second, remove from heat. Leave the lid on until popping stops completely.
- When the popping stops, remove the lid. Be careful of any steam that may be released!
- Season as desired.
For a bit of popcorn fun, try these topping ideas:
- Traditional: Salt and butter
- Sweet Tooth: Caramel Sauce
- Cinna-mix: Brown sugar and cinnamon
- Cheesey Pleaser: Grated Parmesan and/or Romano cheese
- Nice 'n Scipy: Chili powder, hot sauce and salt
What is your favourite topping? Let me know in the comments below!
© 2012 I Am Rosa